Bee sting blamed for death of Madison Southern High student

Austin Boggs.
Austin Boggs. Photo provided

A bee sting was “likely the culprit” in the death Monday of a 17-year-old Madison County boy, Coroner Jimmy Cornelison said.

Austin Boggs, who was stung by a bee, was allergic to bee stings, Cornelison said Tuesday.

“The initial call to EMS was a bee sting,” Cornelison said. He said Austin was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Austin was a student at Madison Southern High School in Berea.

Cornelison said toxicology tests and an autopsy are being conducted.

Cornelison said Austin was with his grandfather when he was stung. He was unconscious when emergency medical service employees arrived, Cornelison said.

Austin did have medicine to take for allergic reactions, Cornelison said, but he didn’t know whether Austin took them after the sting.

Erin Stewart, community education director for Madison County Schools, issued a statement Tuesday saying a crisis response team was at the school for students and staff members.

“Today is a difficult day for our school system and Madison Southern High School in particular,” Stewart said. “Losing a student is never anything short of tragic, and this situation is just that. Today we are working through grief and trying to understand this loss.” ... We appreciate the positive thoughts and prayers today and in the days ahead.”

Davis and Powell Funeral Directors in Berea is in charge of arrangements. A GoFundMe page has been set up to help with Austin’s funeral expenses:

Valarie Honeycutt Spears: 859-231-3409, @vhspears