KABUL, Afghanistan — Roadside bombs killed seven American troops Monday — including five in a single blast in Kandahar — matching the number who had died the previous two days.
The spike in deaths comes as President Hamid Karzai has publicly raised doubts about the U.S. strategy in the war, saying success cannot be achieved until more Afghans are in the front lines and insurgent sanctuaries in Pakistan are shut down.
NATO gave no details of Monday's blasts except that they occurred in the south, the main theater of the conflict, and that five were killed in a single blast.
Witnesses said a bomb struck a Humvee on a main road on the outskirts of Kandahar, the focus of a military campaign to secure the city that the Taliban used as their headquarters during their years in power. The attackers apparently targeted the Humvee because it was not as heavily armored as other vehicles in the convoy.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Later Monday, a pair of rockets were fired at the Kandahar offices of the United Nations mission in Afghanistan. One fell short and wounded a guard. The other overshot the compound and exploded in an empty field, police said.
U.S. death tolls for August had been well behind those of the previous two months that set monthly records — 60 in June and 66 in July. But 14 Americans have been killed in the past three days, raising the toll for the month to 49, most of them in the south.
NATO commanders have warned that casualties will mount as coalition and Afghan forces enter areas that have been under longtime Taliban control. The NATO force swelled this month to more than 140,000 — including 120,000 Americans — with the arrival of the last of the reinforcements that President Barack Obama ordered to Afghanistan in a bid to turn the tide of the nearly 9-year war.
With death tolls rising, Karzai has become more outspoken in his criticism of the U.S.-led war effort, telling recent visitors that the American counterinsurgency strategy is flawed.
Most recently, he told the visiting speaker of the German parliament that the campaign against the Taliban over the past eight years had been "ineffective apart from causing civilian casualties," according to a statement by the presidential media office.