FRANKFORT — Democratic U.S. Senate nominee Jack Conway is using a page out of the playbook of his Republican challenger, Rand Paul.
Conway sent an e-mail Tuesday to supporters, announcing he will launch his campaign's first "money bomb" Sept. 7.
The online fund-raising effort has been used successfully by Paul to garner big bucks. It was popularized by Paul's father, U.S. Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, in his unsuccessful 2008 presidential bid.
"If it's done right, it can create a lot of news coverage, inspiring even more people to contribute and providing a huge campaign boost," Conway said in his e-mail.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Conway, the state's attorney general, said Paul's recent money bombs have been falling short of his goals because Paul, a Bowling Green eye surgeon, "has waffled on his extreme positions." He noted Paul's statements on the Civil Rights Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Conway said Paul's two-day money bomb last week raised about $258,000, short of a $500,000 goal. Paul's goal actually was $400,000.
Conway is asking supporters to go to www.ConwayFightFund.com to pledge at least $5 on Sept. 7 to raise $260,000 or more.