Crash of Flight 5191

Profiles of all on board

Profiles of all on board

Rebecca Adams, 47

Rebecca Adams, who lived in Harrodsburg, was a senior project manager for Intergraph Corp., a provider of software and services, based in Huntsville, Ala.

She was born in Indiana, and lived in Virginia, Kentucky and New York before returning to Kentucky.

She typically logged 70- to 80-hour work weeks but enjoyed hiking and tending to her farm in Mercer County.

“You would not believe the number of calls and e-mails coming in -- she was loved by clients and associates alike,” said her boyfriend, Parham Baker of Lexington.

Christina Anderson, 38

For six years, Christina Anderson ran a horse-breeding operation near her home in Inglewood, Ontario.

This year, some of her horses won or qualified for big races, said Jennifer Jones, her closest friend.

“All her work had finally come to fruition,” Jones said.

Anderson left behind two daughters, Lauren, 4, and Sarah, who will turn 3 in a few weeks.

“Her main passion in life was that her kids grew up healthy and happy, and that was even one of the last conversations we had,” Jones said.

Anderson was in Kentucky with her boyfriend, Lyle Anderson. He also was in the horse business, and also died in the crash.

Lyle Anderson, 55

Lyle Anderson was 845 miles from home, but he liked to be around his horses.

He had flown to Lexington from Ottawa, Ontario, the Thursday before the crash to watch his filly Queen Charlotte and colt Cayenne Turbo race at The Red Mile.

He spent part of Saturday with girlfriend Christina Anderson, eyeing yearlings before the fall sale.

He had initially dabbled in the stock market but decided he wanted to be a horse trainer, said Kevin Thomas, a close friend.

“You meet some people and you know you like them immediately,” Thomas said, “and you know you’ll never forget them.”

Arnold Andrews, 64

Arnold Andrews devoted his life’s work to helping people with drug and mental health problems.

Andrews, of Tampa, was senior vice president and chief operating officer for the non-profit WestCare Foundation. He oversaw substance abuse and mental health treatment programs in Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

“He was very compassionate, very caring,” said Jenifer Noland, regional vice president of WestCare Kentucky.

Before WestCare, Andrews spent 23 years as executive vice president for Operation PAR Inc., a drug treatment center in St. Petersburg, Fla.

The Miami Herald credited him with helping weed out fraud and corruption in the industry in the 1990s, and with developing nationally recognized policies for treatment centers.

Anne Marie Bailey, 49

The love for horses brought Anne Marie Bailey to the Bluegrass.

Bailey, a veterinary technician, had stayed a couple of days in Lexington attending a conference on equine health, said her friend Ruth Wilsher, who worked with her in an equine veterinarian’s office.

She was heading home to Vancouver, British Columbia.

Bailey worked with the horses at Hastings Park Racecourse in Vancouver about six times a week. A memorial in her honor is being planned at the track.

“She loved working with horses,” Wilsher said. “She was so dedicated. She was very passionate about her job.”

Bobbie Benton, 50

Bobbie Sue Benton of Stanford turned 50 on Aug. 21, six days before the crash.

She and her husband, Jesse Clark Benton, were on their way to Aruba to celebrate her birthday when they died.

Wayne Galloway, pastor of Fort Logan Church of Christ, said a young member of the church looked at the tragedy this way: “Bobbie wanted to go to Aruba, and she flew all the way to paradise.”

She graduated from Lincoln County High School in 1974, and was employed by Tinder-Krauss-Tinder of Danville. She was a member of the Fort Logan Hospital Auxiliary and of the Lincoln County Junior Miss Committee.

Jesse Clark Benton, 48

Clark Benton took on a leadership role in the congregation at Fort Logan Church of Christ, said Wayne Galloway, pastor of the church.

“You didn’t have to ask,” Galloway said. “He saw things that needed to be done.”

Clark Benton graduated from Lincoln County High School in 1976 and the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque in 1986.

He was a retired Marine and worked as a principal network engineer for General Dynamics Network Systems.

He died with his wife, Bobbie Sue, as they began a trip to Aruba.

Carole Bizzack, 64

From horses to hummingbirds, Carole Bizzack loved animals.

She raised horses and cattle and bred Sicilian burros at Bittersweet Station Farm on Winchester Road, and coaxed hummingbirds to fly into her hand, said Lisa Lemay, who worked for Bizzack. Her dogs followed her everywhere she went.

She was a member of Good Shepherd Episcopal Church and was involved with the work of her husband, John Bizzack, a former Lexington police officer who is commissioner of the state Department of Criminal Justice Training.

They had been married for 35 years.

George Brunacini, 60

George Brunacini was a horseman whose destiny was in Kentucky, where bluegrass and toil rewarded him with winners such as Flower Alley and Victory U.S.A.

He worked in the horse industry for more than 30 years. He moved from Albuquerque, N.M., to Georgetown more than 10 years ago for Bona Terra, the farm he operated with his girlfriend, trainer Emilie Fojan.

He won Breeder of the Year for Flower Alley, the 2004 Travers Stakes winner.

“He was a horse lover, through and through,” Fojan said. “It wasn’t a business to him. He did it out of love.”

Brian Byrd, 28

Brian Byrd, of Richmond, was on his way to the Caribbean Island of St. Lucia to marry Judy Ann Rains, who also died.

Byrd worked with Rains at her pet-grooming salon, K-9 Design. The Richmond Register reported that he was active in the Richmond Little League program, was a 1995 graduate of Madison Central High School, and had a 7-year-old son.

Jeffrey Clay, 35

Jeffrey Clay, the captain of Flight 5191, had been a Comair employee since November 1999 and a captain since 2004.

His wife, Amy, described him as a “by-the-book” pilot. The couple lived in Burlington. He originally was from Vineland, N.J.; Amy is a Paintsville native.

A neighbor, Carol Turek, said that Clay, 35, was dedicated to his wife and two daughters, ages 2 years and 3 months.

“His wife and his kids were the No. 1 priority,” Turek said.

The night before the crash, Amy said, she and the girls had dinner with him in Lexington.

Diane Combs, 52

In 1975, Diane Combs married her Whitesburg High School sweetheart, Homer Combs.

She spent the rest of her life supporting him, working with him and loving him.

She was the accountant for Systems Design Group, a technology company founded by her husband and his two brothers.

Homer was remembered for keeping a candy dish on his desk, but it was Diane who kept it filled.

Glen Combs, her brother-in-law, said that when an employee at Systems Design had a baby recently, Diane Combs made sure she had a full set of baby clothes.

She was a member of the Lexington Newcomers Club and always welcomed people moving into Andover Forest.

Homer Combs, 51

It’s not just close friends and family members who are missing Homer Combs.

There’s the man in the University of Kentucky 101 Booster Club who showed Combs to his seat at football games year after year, the elderly neighbor couple he regularly took food to, and many others.

All of them thought the world was a better place because of Combs and his wife, Diane Adams Combs, who died at his side.

“We’ve gotten e-mails and calls from everywhere, even Australia and Germany,” said Homer’s brother, Glen Combs.

Homer Combs was co-founder, co-owner and senior vice president of Systems Design Group, a technology company.

Fenton Dawson, 46

Fenton Dawson of Lexington had been an All-America track and cross-country athlete at Trigg County High School in Cadiz in Western Kentucky, his brother, Mont Dawson, told the Louisville Courier-Journal.

He worked for Affiliated Computer Services in the government solutions department and had been on his way to a business conference in Washington, D.C.

His brother described him as “a great father” who coached his 6-year-old son, Chase, in soccer. He also had a daughter, Madeline, 10.

Thomas Fahey, 26

“I don’t think there was a horse that could unseat him. He had glue on the seat of his pants,” Sally Dwyer, owner of Seven Oaks Ranch in Spring Hill, Kan., said of Thomas Fahey.

Fahey had built a riding and training business in partnership with the Winsrun Equestrian Center in Bucyrus, Kan.

He was a riding trainer for Paige Winters of Leawood, Kan., and was in Lexington with her and her mother, Joan, helping them choose a horse to buy. Paige also died in the crash.

Julie Crawford, whose daughter was a student of Fahey’s, described him to The Kansas City Star as much wiser than his years.

“For being so young,” she said, “he was just very, very talented.”

Mike Finley, 52

As a small boy, friends recalled for The Sentinel Echo of London, young Mike Finley would skate up a storm at his father’s rink, sometimes zipping between the legs of taller skaters.

Finley ended up running Finley’s Fun Center, and two other rinks in Somerset and Danville.

“In our business, Mike was the epitome of the mom and pop operation,” said Joe Champa of Lexington, the incoming president of Roller Skating Association International.

Finley was on his way to the association convention in Nevada with employee Hollie Gilbert.

Finley also owned VIP Car Rental and the Business Connection in London.

Clarence Wayne “C.W.” Fortney II, 34

Since he was old enough to stand in the yard and look up in the sky, C.W. Fortney II of Lexington was captivated by airplanes and flying.

He grew up to be a commercial pilot for Air Tran Airlines and never expressed worries about air travel, said his father, Wayne Fortney of Stanton.

Fortney would have turned 35 this Tuesday. He grew up in Stanton, got a degree in aviation from Eastern Kentucky University and married Sarah King of Stanton. They had a 16-month-old son, Calvin James.

“He had Sarah, he had his baby, and he had a job flying planes. He had everything he wanted,” his father said.

Wade Bartley Frederick, 44

Bart Frederick was a Kentucky guy -- his parents lived in Owensboro, he attended the University of Kentucky, and he lived for years in Danville. But his family recently decided to move to the Atlanta area for his job in pharmaceutical sales.

He was headed there last Sunday to coordinate the move.

“He was really involved with his kids, and was a really good dad,” said neighbor Rick Hempel, recalling how Frederick put together Legos and made time for his kids’ sports games. “They’re just the sweetest family.”

But Frederick also made time for his own hobbies, including a small vineyard next to his house, and woodworking that would show up around the house.

Hollie Gilbert, 35

Hollie Gilbert was general manager of the Finley’s Fun Centers in London, Somerset and Danville. She worked for owner Mike Finley her entire adult life.

She and Finley were on their way to the annual convention of Roller Skating Association International in Nevada.

Joe Champa of Lexington, the group’s incoming president, told The Sentinel Echo of London that Gilbert was so good at her job that she “could have run any skating rink in the country.”

Friends and family remembered her as warm, affectionate, tenacious and persistent.

“She was competitive at cards and board games,” said her cousin Dawn Nicholson of Somerset. She “always wanted to play to the end.”

Erik Harris, 28

Erik Harris was a sales team leader for Galls Inc., and was taking uniforms to the New Orleans Police Department when he died.

He grew up in Ohio, where he played varsity football and baseball, and had a degree in psychology with a minor in criminology from Morehead State University.

Two days before the crash, Harris and fiancŽe Toni Holder had moved into a new house. They planned to have his family down from Ohio this Labor Day weekend.

“He was a sweetheart,” said his grandmother, Netta Common. “He called home every day.”

Kelly Heyer, 27

The flight attendant on Comair Flight 5191 had dreams of working for the U.S. Embassy in France.

Kelly Heyer was fluent in French and wanted to work as an interpreter, former roommate Ferdy Hossain said.

He was single and lived in the Cincinnati area. Heyer was originally from Detroit Lakes, Minn.

He was a big movie buff, and the two of them would often hang out and go to clubs together, Hossain said.

“He used to love his vodka and tonic,” Hossain said. “Next time I go to a bar, I’ll drink one for him.”

Jonathan Hooker, 27

Jonathan Hooker pitched for the University of Kentucky baseball team from 1997 to 2001, and later played minor league ball.

The night before he died, he married Scarlett Parsley in what was described as a “storybook wedding” at the Headley-Whitney Museum in Lexington. They were headed for a honeymoon in Southern California.

Hooker had lived in London, where he had worked as a substance abuse counselor, but planned to live in Lexington after the honeymoon as Scarlett attended graduate school and the couple began their new life as husband and wife.

Scarlett Parsley Hooker, 23

“If anybody wanted a perfect daughter, they would want a Scarlett,” said Shirley “Sweetie” Smith of London, a close friend of the Parsley family.

Scarlett Parsley Hooker had her new last name less than 24 hours -- she was starting out on a honeymoon with Jonathan Hooker.

Her family owns a well-known tire business in London, where she grew up. She was a 2004 Centre College graduate. She was pursuing a master’s degree in communications disorders at the University of Kentucky.

She and Jonathan “held all the promise that youth and love carry, which makes their loss to us even more tragic,” UK President Lee Todd said.

Priscilla Johnson, 44

Priscilla Johnson of Lexington had two loves: her family and traveling.

She was uniting both last Sunday as she and her cousin, JoAnn Wright, set out on the first leg of their flight to Miami and an awaiting cruise ship.

“She died doing what she loved to do,” said longtime friend Dana Cliett.

Johnson was “outgoing and loved by everybody, young and old, black and white,” said her sister, Castella Washington. “Whatever you were going through she could put herself in your position.”

Johnson was an export auditor who had worked for Galls Inc. for 16 years.

Nahoko Kono, 31

She was relatively new to Kentucky, having arrived 18 months ago with her husband, Tetsuya.

The couple spent their free time traveling around the United States. Last Sunday, they were headed for a weeklong vacation at Yosemite National Park in California.

They “took every chance they could to see and experience what this country is all about,” said Kevin Wycoff, senior design engineer for LBX.

Tetsuya Kono, 34

Tetsuya Kono, or Tetsu, moved to Lexington from Japan 18 months ago with his wife, Nahoko.

He came to Kentucky to work as a design engineer for LBX Co. from its parent company Sumitomo, which manufactures earth-moving equipment.

“They were so well-liked, and Tetsu fit in so well at this company,” LBX spokesman Jack Tipton said. “He had a very contagious smile.”

“He was very much liked by his fellow employees, and his work as an engineer was without reproach,” Lew Miller, director of engineering for LBX, said in a company statement.

Charles Lykins, 46

“It didn’t matter if you had billions or had little or nothing, he would treat you the same,” said Don McMurry of Winchester, who was Charles Lykins’ uncle.

Lykins moved from Winchester to Naples, Fla., when he was 6, but he kept close ties with family members in Kentucky.

“We talked twice a day, every day,” McMurry said. “I probably wouldn’t have been much closer to a flesh-and-blood son.”

Lykins was an excellent golfer, and had been in Winchester over the weekend to play in a tournament with McMurry at the Winchester Country Club. The tournament was canceled, but Lykins played anyway, and attended a family gathering Saturday night.

Lykins decided to leave earlier than planned on Sunday so he could see his family in Florida. The change put him on the flight that crashed.

Dan Mallory, 55

Dan Mallory operated Meadow Haven Farm in Bourbon County and was a regular consignor to the Fasig-Tipton and Keeneland sales.

Mallory served as president of the Kentucky Farm Managers’ Club in 1989 and bred several stakes winners alone and in partnerships, including graded winners American Spirit and Traces of Gold.

He was traveling to Texas for the Fasig-Tipton yearling sale last Monday and Tuesday.

“Horses were his life and his livelihood, but family and friends were his great love,” said his wife, Edith Mallory.

Steve McElravy, 57

Steve McElravy’s job with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services took him all over the country, helping with programs to prevent the sale of cigarettes to children.

He had lived in Hagerstown, Md., for four years but was born and grew up in Lincoln, Neb., where he worked in drug and alcohol abuse prevention.

“He was a big helper from day one. ... He was very bright, very accepting of others,” said Bob Schroeder, who worked with McElravy in Nebraska.

Lynda McKee, 57

Lynda McKee lived in Richmond and managed the gift shop at Pattie A. Clay Regional Medical Center.

“Lynda was just a wonderful person and did such a great job with our gift shop,” said Jo Helen Cloys, the medical center’s public relations director.

She was on her way to Fairhope, Ala., on Mobile Bay to visit her daughter and two grandchildren.

“She just gave us good solid Christian backgrounds with wonderful morals and values,” said McKee’s daughter, Tonia O’Daniel.

She also had a son, Aaron McKee.

Bobby Meaux, 31

When Samantha Baker thinks of her cousin Bobby Meaux, it makes her smile.

“He was so funny,” said Baker, who cared for Meaux on her first babysitting job. “He could always make me laugh.”

Meaux lived in Lexington but grew up in Harrodsburg, where he is remembered as the quarterback for the hometown Hogs during the 1991 and ‘92 seasons, and especially for the district championship win in 1991.

“He was just a great kid,” said former Harrodsburg High School coach Alvis Johnson, whose sons played ball with Meaux and kept in touch over the years.

Meaux was a sales representative at Galls Inc., and one of four Galls employees who died in the crash.

Kaye Craig Morris, 57

“Kaye is a doer,” former Lexington Mayor Jim Amato said, explaining that Morris loved to travel and to organize.

She and husband Leslie Morris took many trips; last Sunday they were on their way to Alaska to see whales.

Kaye Morris was a Lexington native and a graduate of Henry Clay High School and the University of Kentucky.

At one time she was a radiology nurse.

She was active in charitable and volunteer activities, including the Chrysalis House, Toys for Tots and Meals on Wheels, and had a talent for poetry.

Leslie W. Morris II, 72

Leslie Morris practiced law for 49 years and was the most senior partner at Stoll Keenon Ogden.

“He was the most worthy adversary I ever faced,” said Bill Garmer, another Lexington lawyer.

Morris was the 2005 recipient of the Fayette County Bar Association’s Henry T. Duncan Memorial Award.

“I think the neatest thing about him was he was very active behind the scenes,” son-in-law Rick Queen said.

“If he worked with a group of people, he never tried to steal the show,” Garmer said. “That’s very unusual in today’s world.”

Morris was beginning a trip to Alaska with his wife, Kaye, who also died. He would have turned 73 today.

Cecile Moscoe, 29

On her page, Cecile Moscoe wrote that she loved ballroom dancing, rappelling, camping, fly fishing, shooting, and also “girl stuff like snuggling up in front of the fire and watching movies.”

Moscoe was a managed-account representative for Galls Inc. and was one of four Galls employees on the flight last Sunday.

Moscoe recently bought a house in Richmond, where her brother, Brian, lives.

“She was happy in Richmond and had big plans to fix it up,” her friend Brigette McKinley said.

“She was charming, awesome, sassy, and very positive. No matter what was going on, she would never get down.”

Judy Ann Rains, 35

As was their habit, Kathy Trimble and Judy Rains talked shortly before Rains was to leave on a trip to marry her fiancŽ, Brian Byrd.

Rains had a specific request: “If anything happens to me, Kathy, please tell me you’ll take my dogs.”

Rains’ love of dogs reflected her profession: She was owner of K-9 Design Pet Grooming in Richmond.

She and Brian Byrd were on their way to a beach wedding in St. Lucia when they died.

She had planned to wear a simple, tea-length dress and the ceremony was to be just the two of them. Their announcements read that the trip was the perfect way to start a new adventure.

Michael Noel Ryan, 55

Michael Ryan came to Kentucky from Ireland in 1981.

He was a stockbroker and helped found one of Lexington’s first locally owned investment firms.

His wife, Kathy Ryan, said he “loved being on stage” -- he traveled weekly teaching investment seminars around the country.

The night before he died, the Ryans danced all night at Picnic with the Pops.

“Thank God he gave me that kind of ending,” Kathy Ryan said.

Mary Jane Silas, 58

“She was very vibrant, a buoyant person,” Ron Harper said of Mary Jane Silas.

Silas worked at Logista, a technology management provider where Harper is president, in Columbus, Miss.

She was returning home to Mississippi Sunday after spending a few days in Kentucky helping her sister settle their late mother’s estate, friends and family told the Associated Press.

Silas was very popular, Harper said, and was always baking a cake for someone.

Patrick Hogan Smith, 58

Between October and the end of December, 80 volunteers from Kentucky, under Pat Smith’s leadership, completed 26 Habitat for Humanity houses in fishing villages in southern India leveled by the tsunami in 2004.

When he died, Smith was on his way to Gulfport, Miss., on a project to build 13 houses for people displaced by Hurricane Katrina. It was his seventh Habitat trip to Mississippi.

The Lexington resident was Habitat’s national Volunteer of the Year in 2004.

He said his work with the group in different parts of the world helped him embrace the universality of people.

“It just hits you. We’re all alike. We’re all human beings.”

Tim Snoddy, 51

Tim Snoddy had the kind of energy it takes to run businesses in three cities, consult on numerous cases, go horseback riding every weekend, look after nearby parents, children and grandchildren, and keep a close circle of friends.

Snoddy, 51, was headed to his Snoddy Consulting offices in Stuart, Fla., when he died last Sunday.

“He usually took that flight on Mondays; I don’t know why he picked Sunday,” said his close friend, Gil Johnson. “Maybe he just wanted a day in Florida.”

Snoddy originally was from Greenup County. He graduated from the University of Kentucky in 1976 and was an ardent UK sports fan, said his son, Matthew.

Marcie Thomason, 25

Her wedding to Charles Cutchin Powell Jr. was set for Sept. 30, so Marcie Thomason was in Lexington to help plan the final details and to attend a wedding shower.

She was headed back to her accounting job and her fiancŽ in Washington, D.C., when she died.

“She was a beautiful young lady in every respect,” said her uncle, Bill Lear. “This is a huge tragedy.”

Thomason graduated from Henry Clay High School as class salutatorian in 1999 and was a first-team All-State soccer player.

She also excelled at the University of Virginia’s McIntire School of Commerce, where she was inducted into the National Society of Collegiate Scholars.

Gregory Alan Threet, 35

Greg Threet of Lexington was a leader in Cub Scout Pack 363 and coached youth soccer and basketball.

He was born in Noblesville, Ind., where he was a co-captain and MVP on the football team and a standout on the basketball and track teams.

He was assistant manager for Kentucky for Crawford & Company, an insurance services firm.

“Greg will be warmly remembered for his big smile and willingness to help others,” his family said in a statement.

Stephanie Pfanstiel, whose son Simon was in Threet’s Webelos/Cub Scout den, said he was an excellent role model.

“He was a good man. He was a Christian man,” she said. “He was someone I had no problem with Simon looking up to.”

Randy Towles, 47

Randy Towles was a personal trainer who worked with young soccer and lacrosse players.

He was flying back to his home in Watertown, N.Y., after driving down to Kentucky to help a friend move.

“He helped everybody,” said Valerie Towles, his wife. “He was the best friend and best husband I could have ever asked for.”

She met him when he delivered a pizza to her house.

Four months after that first meeting, they were engaged. They would have celebrated their seventh wedding anniversary Monday.

Larry Turner, 51

With the death of Larry Turner, the University of Kentucky lost a forward-looking agriculture leader whose efforts had earned him national as well as statewide respect, colleagues said.

Turner grew up on a farm in Rising Sun, Ind., and began his career with the UK extension service in 1978. Since 2002, he had been associate dean for extension and director of the Cooperative Extension Service.

He was helping farmers chart a new course after the federal tobacco support program was abolished.

“He was really innovative and was nationally recognized as an emerging leader,” said Scott Smith, UK’s agriculture dean.

Victoria Washington, 54

A Madison County resident known for coming to the aid of family and friends was doing just that Sunday morning.

Vickey Washington was headed to West Palm Beach to help take care of her brother, who was ill, and his wife, who was going through surgery, family members said.

“She was willing to help anyone,” said Joseph Hays of Brandenburg, a cousin.

Originally from Breckinridge County, Washington served eight years in the Army and 12 years in the Navy.

While in the Navy, she met and married J.T. Washington. Both retired in 1995 and moved to Kentucky, living first in Owensboro and then in Richmond.

Jeff Williams, 49

Thoroughbred trainer Jeff Williams kept horses at the Thoroughbred Training Center on Paris Pike.

“He was particularly good with young horses,” said Dayton, Ohio, lawyer Larry Denny.

Williams and Denny grew up in Centerville, Ohio, south of Dayton, where they showed saddlebreds as youngsters. Williams still lived there.

“He was a complete horseman. He was a very good polo player and trainer of polo ponies,” Denny said.

Williams’ horses raced at Keeneland, and at Ohio tracks. He played polo all over Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan and Indiana on the Dayton Polo Club.

Paige Winters, 16

Paige Winters, an enthusiastic rider with her future planned out, had visited Lexington from Leawood, Kan., to look at horses to buy.

She was accompanied by her riding trainer, Thomas Fahey, and her mother, Joan, who didn’t board the plane because one leg of the trip was overbooked.

Paige was eager to return to Leawood, Joan Winters said. She wanted to see her friends. A junior in high school, she had just discovered boys. She had a dress to buy for homecoming.

Friends and family members spoke of her smile, generosity and compassion.

“A 16-year-old child enjoying herself the way she did was a gift from God,” family friend John Goodman told The Kansas City Star

Bryan Woodward, 39

Bryan Woodward was on his way to Texas on business Sunday morning.

Woodward grew up in Tennessee. He lived in Lafayette, La., where he was married with two daughters, Mattie Kay and Lauren. Other survivors include a twin brother, Brett.

According to a report by WATE-TV in Knoxville, Woodward was planning to head home after his business trip to spend time with family.

He was an electrical engineer who was doing work in Lexington before heading to Texas, the report said.

JoAnn Wright, 56

JoAnn Wright was on the first leg of a trip with her cousin, Priscilla Johnson.

They were going to Miami for a cruise. It would have been Wright’s first cruise.

Wright lived in Cincinnati, Johnson in Lexington. They often spent weekends at each other’s homes, said Patricia Mathis, another cousin.

For 25 years, Wright worked in various departments at The University Hospital in Cincinnati.

“I’m going to miss her so much,” said Wright’s mother, Opal Blockson.

Betty Young, 74

Betty Young was on her way to her condominium in Naples, Fla., for a visit with her two daughters.

Young had lived in Lexington since 1960 and was involved in myriad charitable and civic organizations, said her son, James Butler.

She was married to W. Richard Young of Lexington, whose brother was the late businessman W.T. Young.

“Mom was a very expressive person. She entertained a lot of people. She always treated everybody the same, whether it was the governor or a bank teller,” Butler said.

James M. Polehinke, 44, the lone survivor

James Polehinke was at the controls when Flight 5191 crashed last Sunday, and he was the only survivor.

Friends, family and neighbors described him as a strong man with a faith in God and a fighting spirit.

But he is badly injured -- “broken in a million pieces” said his mother, Honey Jackson.

Polehinke and his wife, Ida, live in Margate, Fla., with their four dogs.

A friend, Antonio Cruz, said Polehinke always wanted to fly.

“He could play the saxophone so beautifully, but he always wanted to be a pilot,” Cruz said. “That was his lifetime dream.”

Follow more of our reporting on

See all 10 stories