Riot at Boyd County jail leads to relocation of 70 jail inmates

About 70 jail inmates had to be relocated following a Saturday night riot at the Boyd County jail.

The riot happened at about 11:30 p.m., according to a press release on the jail’s Facebook page. Ten maximum security inmates, all of whom had violent charges including murder, attempted murder, robbery and assault fought with two deputy jailers at the jail, forcing the deputies to retreat. The deputies could not close the cell door before the inmates forced their way out, but the inmates were still contained in a secure hallway. While in the hallway, the inmates stacked blankets, mail and other flammable items against the entry doors and set them on fire, the release stated.

Additional deputy jailers, police officers, EMS, and fire personnel were called to assist. A planned entry was made into the hallway where the riot was. The fires were extinguished and deputy jailers were able to regain control of the inmates, who were restrained and removed from the area, the release read.

Due to heavy smoke, inmates from surrounding cells were evacuated to the jail's recreation yard. The jail is still housing inmates, but 70 inmates had to be transferred to the Little Sandy Correctional Complex, Carter County Detention Center, and Pike County Detention Center. The jail was working to reduce its population so that a full assessment of damage could be completed, the release stated.

During the riot, electricity was never interrupted and water was off for about two hours prior to the riot because of an inmate damaging a sprinkler head, the release said. A few staff and inmates received minor injuries. Kentucky State Police was investigating the incident.

This is not the first time the Boyd County jail has had a problem with inmates. Four inmates escaped from the jail in late July because of a jail design flaw. Three of the inmates were caught, but one inmate is still at large according to the jail’s Facebook page.