One Central Kentucky town has won a state award for its effort to promote its downtown.
Main Street Winchester won the “best downtown promotion” award in the Kentucky Main Street Program Awards for its Downtown Urban Loft Tour. The self-guided tour, in September, featured about 20 renovated commercial and residential buildings in downtown Winchester.
The program will receive its award Wednesday in Frankfort.
Other awards to be presented are:
▪ Best media promotion: Murray Main Street, Downtown Video series.
▪ Best print promotion: Heart of Danville, 2017 holiday season brochure.
▪ Best promotional event: Main Street Pineville, annual Main Street gala.
▪ Best economic initiative: Main Street Pineville, building rehab/new business incentive program.
▪ Best Main Street youth event: Murray Main Street, “Fresh Squad” farmers market kids club.
▪ Best downtown beautification: Pikeville Main Street.
▪ Outstanding partners: Peel & Holland, Murray, and Springfield State Bank, Springfield.
▪ Volunteers of the year: Debra Parr of Winchester and Cody Polston of Danville.
The Kentucky Main Street program, created in 1979, has been responsible for $4.5 billion in public-private investment throughout the state. Thirty-seven Kentucky downtown programs are nationally accredited.