Police search for suspect after three killed in Leslie County


A search was underway in Leslie County Monday night after an apparent shooting that left three dead, according to state police.

Kentucky State Police were called by the Leslie County Sheriff’s Office to assist on a report of shots fired at a home in the Wolf Creek Road area of the Cutshin community just before 7 p.m., Trooper Jody Sims said.

While driving to the scene of the reported shots, a Kentucky State Police trooper’s cruiser was rammed by another vehicle, Sims said. The other driver allegedly fired shots at the trooper before fleeing on foot. The trooper was not injured.

When officers arrived a short time later to the area of the original shots fired report, they found three people dead, Sims said. The people were located at two neighboring homes, but it is not yet clear if there is a familial relation between the victims.

Investigators continued to search the area for a suspect, identified as 52-year-old Paul Douglas Sizemore, in connection with the shooting Monday night and advised people to avoid the area, Sims said. Anyone who sees someone suspicious in the area is urged to not approach as any person involved in the shooting or the crash would be considered armed and dangerous.

No other injuries were reported in the incident as of Monday night.

A man with the same name as the suspected shooter, Paul Douglas Sizemore was charged in federal court in Louisville in connection with an armed robbery of a pawn shop and the attempted robbery of a Kroger in 2003. A co-defendant pointed a gun at a security guard at the Kroger and threatened to kill him, according to the indictment. Sizemore pleaded guilty on three charges and was sentenced to 135 months — or a little more than 11 years — in prison.

In 2014, court records indicated Paul Douglas Sizemore was out of prison and put on supervised release (the federal version of parole). His supervision was transferred to the Eastern District of Kentucky in 2014. One court document says that in June 2015, he was placed on supervised released for four years, so he would still have been under supervision at the time of the Perry County killings.