LOUISVILLE — A woman has died after a fire broke out as power was being restored to her home in the wake of last week's windstorm.
A Louisville fire official said a cloth towel left on the kitchen stove caught fire shortly after the electricity was turned back on.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Deputy Jefferson County Coroner Jack Arnold said Ruth Alexander, 88, died Saturday of smoke inhalation.
Louisville Gas & Electric reported fewer than 15,000 customers without power Monday morning, more than a week after remnants of Hurricane Ike pummeled the area.
At the peak after the Sept. 14 storm, more than 300,000 LG&E customers were in the dark.