A house fire that killed a Hopkins County woman late Friday night was caused by a portable propane heater placed too close to some curtains, state police said.
Mary Orr was pulled from her home at Slaughters by the Hanson Fire Department and was taken to the Regional Medical Center in Madisonville, where she was pronounced dead. A preliminary autopsy showed that she died of smoke inhalation.
Her husband, Danny Orr, was taken to Regional Medical Center and then flown to Vanderbilt Medical Center, where he was later discharged.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.