A Bardstown man died in a fire at his home Monday afternoon.
Everett Burkhead, 67, was a hospice patient whose illness prevented him from escaping when his single wide mobile home caught fire, said Anthony Mattingly, chief of the Nelson County fire department.
Mattingly said the fire was thought to have started in the living room, where Burkhead slept. Burkhead had been home alone.
Mattingly said the fire appears to have been an accident.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Firefighters were called to the home at 130 Cleo Drive at 1:45 p.m. They removed Burkhead from the residence and began efforts to resuscitate him, but they stopped after learning that he had signed documents indicating that he did not want to be resuscitated, Mattingly said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.