Kentucky

Electrical failure likely caused Danville church fire

The fire that destroyed the Church of God of America in Danville on Sunday night was accidental and was caused by an electrical failure, according to the preliminary findings of investigators released Tuesday.

The fire gutted the building at 449 East Martin Luther King Boulevard, which was built in the late 1940s and dedicated in 1950.

Witnesses reported seeing flames and sparks in the vicinity of the building's electrical service drop, said Ken Pflug, fire marshal for the city of Danville.

The fire started in the northwest corner of the building, based on firefighter interviews and evidence found. Fire patterns led investigators to the corner room, which was used as a sitting room and a small office.

Pflug was to meet with insurance investigators today; they will conduct their own investigation.

  Comments