Kentucky

Fire destroys restaurant and stores at Green River Lake State Park

A fire at Green River Lake State Park Friday destroyed a building that contained the marina store, gift shop and restaurant.

Fire crews from the Taylor County and Campbellsville fire departments were called shortly after 11 a.m.

The marina was closed at the time and no one was injured.

Taylor County Fire Department officials said that several small propane tanks, possibly used for cooking, exploded, which helped fuel the fire.

But fire officials said the cause of the fire may be traced to an electrical problem. A jet ski and one boat were also damaged.

Adam England, a dispatcher with the Taylor County Fire Department, said people staying in the floating cabins at the marina's docks were evacuated.

Green River Lake State Park is owned by the state, but the gift shop, restaurant and grocery store are run by a private contractor.

  Comments