Three people were injured Monday in a rural Powell County house fire believed to have been caused by grease left on a hot stove.
The fire spread quickly and completely destroyed the home at 3329 Paint Creek Road. It sent one man to the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital in critical condition from burns and smoke inhalation, Stanton Fire Chief Eddie Barnes said.
Another person was taken to Clark Regional Medical Center with burns on his neck and face, and a firefighter was treated at the scene for second-degree burns.
The fire was reported at 12:48 p.m. as a grease fire confined to the kitchen. By the time firefighters arrived about 10 minutes later, the house was fully engulfed. Firefighters were unable to enter the home and had to fight the fire from the outside, Barnes said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Three dogs died in the fire. Firefighters were able to rescue four other dogs.