Two 4-year-old boys died in a fire at a mobile home in Russell County about 9 p.m. Saturday, authorities said.
Heiden Oseguera and Hector Curry likely died of smoke inhalation, but that won't be confirmed until an autopsy scheduled for Monday, said Troy Harris, deputy coroner in Russell County.
H.M. Bottom, emergency manager in the county, said the fire probably resulted from an electrical malfunction in the room where the boys died. The mobile home was an older model.
The two boys were playing in a bedroom at the home, with the door closed, during a birthday party for an older brother of Heiden's turning 18, officials said.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
People elsewhere in the home and outside smelled smoke, but couldn't tell where it was coming from and first checked the kitchen, Bottom said.
When others at the party figured out where the smell was coming from and opened the bedroom door, they could not get inside because of intense heat and smoke, Harris said.
People broke out windows from the outside of the mobile home to try to get into the bedroom, but couldn't, authorities said.
Firefighters knocked down the blaze quickly after arriving and got the boys out, but attempts to revive them were not successful, Harris said.
"It's just a tragedy," Harris said.