A 9-month-old girl found dead Friday evening in Harlan County probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning, deputy Coroner James W. Rich said.
The autopsy on Jazmyne Whitehead has not been completed, but the preliminary results point to carbon monoxide poisoning, Rich said Monday.
Jazmyne was at a mobile home near Cumberland whose owner was using a gasoline-powered generator to produce electricity for the home, Rich said.
Fumes from the generator apparently reached a high enough concentration in the living room to kill the baby. It takes a lesser concentration of the deadly gas to overcome a baby, Rich said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The baby's grandfather, an emergency medical technician, reportedly tried to revive her before police and other emergency workers arrived, without success. She was pronounced dead at the home.