SEC suspends Rebel for hit; Auburn, 0-2, is 'manning up'

Mississippi defensive back Trae Elston has been suspended for one game by the Southeastern Conference for a "flagrant and dangerous act" near the end of the Rebels' 28-10 victory over UTEP on Saturday.

The freshman made a big hit on a UTEP receiver with 3:18 remaining in the fourth quarter. There was no flag called on the play, but the SEC found the hit violated two NCAA rules, including initiating "contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, elbow or shoulder" and initiating "contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet."

Ole Miss Coach Hugh Freeze said he was "disappointed" to lose Elston, "but we are moving forward as a team and focused on Texas."

Auburn: Cornerback T'Sharvan Bell said warning signs that the Tigers might be in trouble started to develop with the team in pre-season camp, when coaches had to turn into cheerleaders to drum up energy in practice.

"Come out in Week 1 and 2 and Coach has to get on us because we come out flat and don't have any energy, so it's kind of odd to see. But we definitely got to get it fixed. We got to get it fixed fast."

The Tigers are floundering after an ugly loss at Mississippi State when there were deficiencies all over the field, from quarterback Kiehl Frazier to poor tackling and pass coverage. As a result, Auburn is 0-2 for the first time since 2003 and only the second since 1984. Now they're preparing for a Louisiana-Monroe team coming in Saturday off an upset of then-No. 8 Arkansas.

Coach Gene Chizik said this about the team's morale: "It's real simple: This is a man's game. It reveals everything about who you are. You know what? We're manning up."

Indiana: Junior college transfer Cameron Coffman has inherited the starting quarterback job after Tre Roberson broke his lower left leg in Saturday's 45-6 victory over Massachusetts.

Coach Kevin Wilson says it will take Roberson five to six months to fully recover from his injury. Teammates call Coffman smart, a good leader who has a strong arm and note that the only real difference is Coffman doesn't have the same "wiggle" as Roberson had when he ran.

Also, Wilson says a German specialist performed surgery on sophomore cornerback Michael Hunter's sports hernia last Thursday. Indiana is hoping Hunter is back on the field in 10 to 14 days. Traditionally, that kind of injury keeps players out six to eight weeks.

Georgia: No. 7 Georgia got through its first two weeks without four starters on defense. At least two of them will be back for Saturday's games against Florida Atlantic.

Safety Sanders Commings and linebacker Chase Vasser have served suspensions after brushes with the law during the off-season. Commings was charged with domestic violence, while Vasser was arrested for DUI.

Oregon: Just two games into the season and No. 4 Oregon has already been dealt a blow with season-ending injuries to guard Carson York and free safety John Boyett, both fifth-year senior leaders.

York hurt his right kneecap during Oregon's 42-25 win over Fresno State last weekend. Boyett will need surgery to repair patellar tendons in both knees.

Coach Chip Kelly said the team does not discuss injuries. "When someone goes down, next guy goes in," Kelly said. "That's football."

Purdue: Quarterback Robert Marve has re-torn the ACL in his left knee and will be out at least a few weeks.

It's the third torn ACL of Marve's college career. "It is torn, but we anticipate him making an attempt to come back and play this season," Coach Danny Hope said.

Michigan: Defensive end Frank Clark has pleaded guilty to a felony, a charge of second-degree home invasion.

Clark acknowledged in court Tuesday that he took a laptop from a dorm room without permission in June.

Clark can have the felony removed from his record if he completes probation under a first-time offenders program.

Michigan Coach Brady Hoke suspended Clark for a week of pre-season practice and the opener against Alabama. Clark helped the Wolverines seal a victory over Air Force in their second game.

Air Force: Coach Troy Calhoun says he canceled all postgame interviews after the Falcons' tough loss at Michigan last weekend so he could get his players back to spend more time on academics.

Calhoun said his decision to make himself and his players off-limits after the Falcons' 31-25 loss at Ann Arbor had nothing to do with anything that happened in the game.

Calhoun said he "brought a bunch of instructors on the trip" because "we have a bunch of exams and papers and projects" that are coming up.