Men's Basketball

Georgetown men dominate Asbury

GEORGETOWN — Georgetown basketball coach Happy Osborne can head into the holidays happy, indeed. Just not too happy.

Osborne's Tigers demolished Asbury 120-79 Wednesday night in Alumni Gymnasium.

Georgetown, ranked No. 7 in the NAIA, won't play again until Dec. 30.

Five Tigers scored in double figures Wednesday.

Eddie Gray led the assault with 24 points and nine assists. Vic Moses added 22 points and 12 rebounds.

Georgetown (8-2) had as many offensive rebounds (21) as Asbury had total and finished with a 48-21 advantage overall. While the Tigers had 26 assists and six turnovers, the Eagles had eight assists and 20 turnovers.

Yet, Osborne didn't like everything he saw, especially Asbury's 47.5 percent field-goal accuracy.

"We've got to improve our defense," he said. "Forty-seven is not good enough. I did think we passed the ball, we pushed the ball."

Osborne also was encouraged by Maurice Pearson, who came off the bench and had his best outing since suffering a knee injury a month earlier. The 6-foot-9 sophomore had a pair of dunks and six rebounds in 19 minutes.

Teshawn Byron and Jamel Ferguson finished with identical lines of 12 points and seven rebounds. Vincent Crutcher had 10 points.

Asbury (8-4) got 26 points from Phillip Morrison, a 5-11 junior. Justin Jones was the Eagles' leading rebounder with four and added seven points. Cory Britt had nine points and five assists.

"It's tough to match their athleticism," said Will Shouse, coach of the Eagles. "Our game plan was to try to turn the athletes into basketball players. To do that, you have to give up some outside shots, and they shot the ball pretty well tonight.

"We were at a disadvantage already with our lack of size and athleticism. You add the shooting and it's gonna be a long night for us."

The Tigers made 50 of 90 shots (55.6 percent), including half of their 26 three-point tries.

Georgetown led 67-40 at halftime, with Gray hitting five three-pointers en route to a 19-point period.

The 5-7 junior said he told some of the team managers beforehand that "we (were) going to go home on a good note, so I had to come out and be aggressive. The last couple of games, I wasn't really being aggressive in the first half, so Coach got on me a little bit."

The only tie came in the first minute, 2-2. The Tigers scored the next nine points and pushed the lead past 20 when Gray hit a three-pointer for a 31-10 advantage.

The biggest lead of the half was 28, when Johonne Hamilton's trey made it 65-37.

Morrison had 15 of Asbury's first-half points, doing most of his damage through heavy traffic.

Asbury came no closer in the second half, and Georgetown led by as many as 45.