Men's Basketball

Spreen's 80-footer lifts Lindsey Wilson over Georgetown

COLUMBIA — Lindsey Wilson senior Chase Spreen hit an 80-foot shot as time expired to lift the Blue Raiders to a 79-78 win over Georgetown on Saturday at Biggers Sports Center.

The three-pointer capped a nearly perfect night for the Bedford, Ind., who finished with 23 points on 5-for-7 shooting from long range and nine rebounds in the Blue Raiders' upset over the Tigers, ranked fifth in the NAIA.

Spreen's heroics put an exclamation point on No. 14 Lindsey Wilson's 19-point comeback win. The final score was the Blue Raiders' only lead of the night.

The rally was the second in as many weeks for the Blue Raiders, who outscored Rio Grande 12-0 over the final two minutes of last Saturday's 73-70 win on the road.

Down 74-63 with 3:09 left in the game, Lindsey Wilson (13-4, 5-1 Mid-South Conference) started the comeback with free throws from sophomore Chase Cox (Taylor County) and Spreen to cut the deficit to eight points.

The pair helped the Blue Raiders make 25 of 30 foul shots on the night. Lindsey Wilson entered the game leading the Mid-South Conference, making 74.7 percent from the charity stripe. Spreen improved his team-leading average to 16.4 points per game. He's averaging 19.3 over his last four games.

Following a Georgetown miss — the Tigers connected on just 26.9 percent from the field after shooting 65.6 percent in the first half — Spreen converted a three-point play with 2:19 left to cut the Tigers' lead to 74-69. Georgetown (15-3, 6-1) ended the game hitting 48.3 percent (28-for-58) from the field.

Lindsey Wilson trimmed the Tigers' lead to 74-71 on junior Wes Hanspard's runner in the lane. Hanspard scored 16 points in the win.

Georgetown senior Maurice Pearson ended the 8-0 run with a pair of free throws with 1:25 left in the game. Pearson finished with a team-high 21 points on 7-for-11 shooting from the field.

Just more than a minute later, Kimberland hit the second biggest three of the night nine seconds later from the deep right corner to cut the Blue Raiders' deficit to two, 78-76, with three seconds left.

Following a Lindsey Wilson timeout, the Blue Raiders fouled Tigers junior Garel Craig, who missed both free throws with two seconds remaining, setting up Spreen's three-quarter court shot.

Georgetown ended the game making just 15 of 26 from the free-throw line.

Georgetown built a 15-point lead in the latter stages of the first half to lead 50-35 at the break.

The Tigers extended the lead to 19 (58-39) three minutes into the second half before the Blue Raiders started their methodical comeback.

Lindsey Wilson ended the game making 41.1 percent (23-for-56) from the field, including 8-for-21 on threes (38.1 percent). The Blue Raiders forced 26 turnovers and climbed within a half game of Georgetown's lead in the MSC.

Lindsey Wilson travels to No. 22 Campbellsville Thursday, and Georgetown hosts Rio Grande the same night.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader