Men's Basketball

Gillispie called 911 again Monday

LUBBOCK, Texas — An ambulance was sent to the home of Texas Tech Coach Billy Gillispie for the second time in 10 days while he remains on leave as the school investigates his leadership of the program.

Lubbock Police Sgt. Jeff Baker said Tuesday that the emergency call came from Gillispie's home around 6 p.m. Monday and that an ambulance was sent.

It was not immediately known whether he was hospitalized. A spokesman for University Medical Center, where Gillispie earlier spent six days this month, said Gillispie did not come there. Calls to the other hospital in Lubbock were not returned.

Gillispie, in a text message to The Associated Press late Tuesday, said he would be treated for high blood pressure "amongst other things," at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

Texas Tech spokesman Blayne Beal said Gillispie told Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt he was going to the Minnesota medical facility for treatment.

Gillispie is on indefinite sick leave and Hocutt said he is no longer making day-to-day decisions for the basketball program so he can focus on his health.

"Nor is he to engage with our program in any way until he and I have a chance to sit down and talk face to face," Hocutt said.

On Aug. 31, Gillispie called 911 and was taken to the medical center. It was the same day he was supposed to meet with Hocutt to discuss allegations he had mistreated his players. The school has reported excessive practice-time violations to the NCAA and reprimanded Gillispie in January.

Hocutt said the school continues to "work through the process" of looking into allegations players brought to him Aug. 29. Gillispie's assistant coaches, with Hocutt's oversight, are handling the program for now.

Hocutt did not put a timetable on when he and Gillispie would meet. "I can't anticipate given the other issues related to his health," he said.

Hocutt has declined to say whether Gillispie could be fired. He has said he was "very troubled" by the information players had given him.

Hired in March 2011, Gillispie came to Texas Tech after two years out of coaching. He was hired by Kentucky in 2007 but UK fired him after a 40-27 mark in two seasons. Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart said the firing was due to more than wins and losses.