High School Sports

Oxendine carries Tates Creek past Corbin 21-14

Dennis Oxendine ran for two touchdowns and Tates Creek made just enough big defensive plays to edge visiting Corbin 21-14 Friday night.

Oxendine, a senior, finished with 131 yards on 13 carries, including touchdowns of 69 and 13 yards.

"He's a great football player and he made a couple great runs," Coach Mike Harmon said. "And he's expected to do that."

Oxendine's 69-yarder opened the scoring midway through the first quarter.

His 13-yarder, with 3:54 left in the game, snapped a tie after Corbin had rallied from a 14-0 halftime deficit.

The Commodores (2-1) got their other score as time expired in the first half, an 18-yard TD pass from Graham Gordon to TaVon Dunn. It came after Corbin fumbled the ball away to R.J. Taylor on the Creek 13 with 52 seconds left.

After a 2-yard gain, Gordon completions of 46 yards to Marshall Gant and 20 yards to Dunn put the Commodores on the Corbin 19 with 19 seconds remaining.

A 1-yard scramble and incompletion left 4 seconds. Gordon hooked up with Dunn just inside and past the right pylon at the goal line.

Just as on his 20-yarder, Dunn went high for the catch.

"TaVon Dunn stepped up and made two tremendous catches ... and we had some good plays by some other guys," Harmon said, "but we weren't real efficient offensively tonight."

Gordon finished 13-for-21, good for 230 yards. Gant had three catches for 96 yards.

Martavius Carter led Tates Creek tacklers with seven.

Corbin (1-2) dominated much of the second half, but was stung by 12 penalties in the game totaling 90 yards.

"Penalties definitely killed us," Coach Steve Jewell said. "I was extremely proud of my kids. I thought they fought through a lot of adverse situations that were thrown at them with the penalties and different things.

"They came back out and tied the ball game up. We didn't do a good job on our kickoff and gave them a really short field ... and they've got some good speed on that team. Tates Creek took advantage of some situations we gave them."

Corbin tied by opening the second half with back-to-back mega-drives.

Matt Jewell, the coach's son, capped a 13-play, 63-yard drive by slashing over right tackle for a 1-yard score. He finished with 102 yards on 28 carries.

After a Creek punt, the Redhounds marched 80 yards in 16 plays to tie it with 5:50 left.

Taylor Waddle, who finished with 35 rushing yards and completed 3 of 13 passes for 49 yards, got the score on a 2-yard sneak.

However, the ensuing kickoff sailed out of bounds.

Dunn snared the re-kick on his 46, and a late-hit penalty moved the ball to Corbin's 39.

Oxendine ran for 5 yards, and Graham found Taylor twice for a net of 21 yards.

Oxendine took it from there, sweeping around left end for the winning score.

In the first quarter, on the next scrimmage play after Oxendine's score, Corbin had a 63-yard scoring run by Matthew Jewell nullified by a holding penalty.

The Redhounds drove to the Creek 18-yard line, but stalled when Austin Yates intercepted a desperation fourth-down pass.

Corbin got the ball back on Waddle's interception and 43-yard return to the Creek 32.

That led to a fourth-and-goal at the 2, where Yates stopped Jewell just short.

"It was like maybe 2 inches (shy) or so," Yates said. "Just had to work hard and we got it."

After Oxendine's winning score, Corbin got the ball two more times but turned the ball over downs each time.

The Redhounds lost despite outrushing Creek 243-85 and holding the ball for 31:58 of the 48 minutes.

Corbin 0 0 7 7—14

Tates Creek 7 7 0 7—21

TC—Dennis Oxendine 69 run (Jake Ryan kick); TC—TaVon Dunn 18 pass from Graham Gordon (Ryan kick); C—Matthew Jewell 1 run (Cai Jackson kick); C—Taylor Waddle 2 run (Jackson kick); TC—Oxendine 13 run (Ryan kick).

Records—Corbin 1-2; Tates Creek 2-1.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader