Top 25 girls' teams
(based on a survey of coaches; first-place votes in parentheses; last year's record listed)
1. Marion Co. (28) 27-7Returns eight of nine players from last season's Final Four team; a tough defensive team that should be very good in transition.
2. Manual (29) 33-5Deepest team in Coach Stacy Pendleton's 13 seasons; nearly all key players have point guard-type skills; 2011 Sweet Sixteen finalist.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
3. Perry Co. Central (3) 27-4Randy Napier's best team since 1994 state champs at M.C. Napier; size and length to go with quickness, shooting ability and depth.
4. Boone Co. 28-6Athletic with size, speed and depth; should be sharp on defense, in transition and on the boards; consistent outside shooting a question.
5. Mercy (3) 24-8 Length and quickness are team strengths, making for a balanced inside-out attack; chink in the armor could be inexperienced depth.
6. Madison Central (1) 23-10 Eight of top 10 players return for 11th Region champions, who nevertheless must replace their leading scorer and top defender.
7. Butler (1) 28-5 Lost only two seniors from balanced team that reached State quarterfinals last March, its 13th time in the Sweet Sixteen.
8. Ryle 23-7 Returns three starters and six others with at least three years of experience; athletic team with ability to shoot and handle the ball.
9. Anderson Co. 23-9 Hungry after one-point loss in 8th Region finals; has three of the top eight players in the 8th Region, according to survey of coaches.
10. Clay Co. 27-7 Deep squad has a 1-2 scoring punch inside and improved point guard play; led state in field-goal percentage en route to Elite Eight.
11. Lincoln Co. 22-7
12. Elizabethtown 29-4
13. Sacred Heart 23-6
14. Monroe Co. 24-7
15. Lexington Catholic 19-12
16. Scott Co. 19-11
17. Rockcastle Co. 36-1
18. South Oldham 22-6
19. Casey Co. 25-7
20. Montgomery Co. 15-16
21. Bryan Station 24-7
22. Bowling Green 25-2
23. Ashland Blazer 26-5
24. Assumption 15-15
25. Sheldon Clark 25-9