Quinn doesn't regret decision to play

Cleveland Browns quarterback Brady Quinn's season ended on Wednesday after just three starts, done in by a broken right index finger that he tried to play with last week and may now require surgery.

Given the options of resting or an operation last week, Quinn could have sat out Sunday's game against Houston. But the second-year QB chose to play and did more damage to his finger.

"I knew that was a consequence if I went in and played," Quinn said Wednesday. "That was something that I was willing to risk. If I had a chance to do it over, I would do it again."

Quinn, who threw an interception on his last pass of the season, must now decide whether to have surgery or have his finger immobilized in a splint. Browns Coach Romeo Crennel said doctors want Quinn to make up his mind within a week. Either way, it's at least a six-week process and Quinn won't play again this season. The Browns placed him on injured reserve Thursday night.

Tynes asks Bush for pardon

Giants kicker Lawrence Tynes has asked the Bush administration to commute a sentence given to his brother for distributing marijuana.

Tynes, who kicked the winning field goal in the NFC title game in January, maintains that the 27-year sentence his brother Mark is serving in a federal facility in Arkansas was excessive for the crime.

"My brother is not asking for a pardon, he is asking for a commutation, which would reduce his sentence," Tynes said Wednesday after the Giants finished practice.

"By no means is he asking to be freed tomorrow," Tynes said. "He deserves to be spending time — the 27 years is something that we think is a little steep."

Mark Tynes was convicted in 2004 of two counts of marijuana distribution for his part in a plan to move 18 tons of marijuana between Texas and Florida.

The 31-year-old Tynes refused to cooperate after his arrest. Four childhood friends testified against him and received sentences ranging from 21 months to five years.

Tynes has run out of appeals to reduce his sentence.

Light, Crowder suspended

Matt Light of New England and Channing Crowder of Miami were fined $15,000 apiece by the NFL on Wednesday for what the league called "a verbal and physical altercation" last Sunday.

Neither will be suspended, the league said.

Light punched Crowder several times after the Miami linebacker shoved him on a Patriots field goal late in a 48-28 win over the Dolphins.

Around the league

Bears: Defensive back Nathan Vasher has a fractured right hand and will miss Sunday night's game against the Vikings when the teams meet at the Metrodome for first place in the NFC North. Vasher, sidelined for three games earlier this season with an injury to his right wrist and thumb, was hurt Sunday against the Rams.

Redskins: London Fletcher was unable to practice Wednesday because of foot injuries, putting the middle linebacker's streak of 130 consecutive NFL starts in jeopardy. Fletcher sprained his foot in last week's 20-17 victory over the Seahawks and is wearing a walking boot. He hasn't missed a start since 2000 and has never missed a game in his 11-year career (171 games).

Cowboys: Rookie running back Felix Jones, who sustained a torn ligament beneath his left big toe, was officially placed on injured reserve on Wednesday. Dallas signed defensive back Tra Battle off San Diego's practice squad to take his place on the roster and said Battle might play Thursday against Seattle.

Falcons: Starting tight end Ben Hartsock was put on injured reserve Wednesday and Atlanta brought back Jason Rader for the second time this season. The 264-pound Hartsock, who had only three catches and was essentially another lineman for Atlanta's powerful running game, injured a toe in last weekend's victory over Carolina.