Mathis equals career-best 65 for lead at St. Jude Classic
David Mathis matched his best round ever on the PGA Tour, shooting a 5-under 65 Thursday to grab the opening-round lead at the St. Jude Classic in Memphis, Tenn.
Mathis jumped to the top of the leader board late in the day, finishing with six birdies and one bogey. He is back on the PGA Tour for a second time thanks to finishing 13th on the Nationwide Tour money list last year.
Robert Karlsson, who lost a four-hole playoff here a year ago, shot a 66 and was tied with John Merrick, Kris Blanks, Kevin Kisner and Colt Knost.
Sergio Garcia may have a chance for an early arrival at the U.S. Open at Congressional next week. He opened with a 78 that featured an 11 on the par-5 No. 3. Garcia was 2 over for the back nine before hitting three times into the water running along much of the right side of the third fairway. He hit his ninth shot into a greenside bunker before blasting out to within 3 feet and finally sank that putt for his 11.
Kentucky native J.B. Holmes did not start Thursday. Holmes tweeted Thursday that he was suffering from vertigo. "Still dizzy and wish this crap would go away," he tweeted. "Vertigo sucks!"
■ Mindy Kim shot a career-low 64 to take a two-stroke lead after the first round of the LPGA State Farm Classic in Springfield, Ill. Sarah Kemp and Jiyai Shin were tied for second at 6-under at the Panther Creek Country Club. Brittany Lincicome, last week's winner at the ShopRite Classic in Galloway Township, N.J., birdied the final hole to finish at 67 and in a tie for fourth with Yani Tseng and Juli Inkster.
TRACK AND FIELD
Bolt runs fastest 200 of season
Usain Bolt ran the fastest time in the world this season as he eased to victory in the 200 meters at a Diamond League meet Monday in Oslo, Norway. Bolt, the Jamaican world-record holder, raced through the rain at the Bislett Games to win convincingly in 19.86 seconds. Norwegian Jaysuma Saidy Ndure was second in 20.43, and Mario Forsythe of Jamaica was third in 20.49. Bolt said he was pleased with the time as he tunes up for the world championships in August. "I was never really out of business," Bolt said. "Business was just a bit slow."
Gay says he's focusing on 100
American record-holder Tyson Gay said Thursday he was 90 percent certain he'd skip the 200 meters at the U.S. championships later this month — which serve as qualifying for worlds — to focus on the 100. Gay, a former Lafayette standout, isn't sure he's in good enough shape to run the 200 well. Because of soreness in his right hip, his training has been uneven since February.
Hawaii governor: Pro Bowl bid 'stupid'
Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie said Thursday it's "so stupid" that the cash-strapped state pays millions to host the Pro Bowl when the money could be used for education. Abercrombie said he opposes a deal the state made in 2009 to pay $4 million per game for the rights to hold the NFL's all-star game in Hawaii this and next year.
"You've got this spectacle of these multimillionaires and billionaires out there arguing about how they're going to divide it up, and then they come and ask us to bribe them with $4 million to have a scrimmage out here in paradise," Abercrombie said. "We've got to get our values straight and our priorities straight."
Transfer Harrow enrolls at UK
North Carolina State transfer Ryan Harrow has enrolled for summer classes at Kentucky, Coach John Calipari said Thursday. Harrow, a 6-foot-1 guard, averaged 9.3 points and 3.3 assists as a freshman at N.C. State last season. He will have to sit out the 2011-12 season but will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Former All-Star Mitchell dead at 55
Former NBA All-Star Mike Mitchell, who played 10 seasons for the Cleveland Cavaliers and San Antonio Spurs, died Thursday after a struggle against cancer. He was 55. Mitchell died in San Antonio after the former Auburn star fought the disease for two years, said his son, Mike Mitchell Jr. Mitchell averaged 19.8 points and 5.6 rebounds during his career. He was an All-Star in Cleveland in 1981.
■ The Milwaukee Bucks have given the Detroit Pistons permission to interview assistant Kelvin Sampson for their vacant head coaching job, a person with direct knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Thursday. Sampson has been an assistant to Bucks Coach Scott Skiles since May 2008.
Ex-Brazil star has brain tumor removed
Former Brazilian basketball player Oscar Schmidt says he is recovering well from brain surgery to remove a benign tumor. Schmidt said he was "lucky" doctors found the near 3-inch tumor that could have caused long-term consequences to his health if it had not been removed. Schmidt, 53, told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper on Thursday that he probably had the tumor for a long time. Doctors ordered tests after he passed out in a bath tub during a trip to the United States. Schmidt led Brazil to an improbable gold medal in the 1987 Pan American Games, stunning the United States in the finals.
Attorney: Pryor not interested in CFL
The attorney for former Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor said Thursday that Pryor turned down a chance to play in the Canadian Football League and is now focusing his energies on being selected by an NFL team later this summer. "He's definitely looking at the supplemental draft," Larry James said. Pryor, considered the nation's No. 1 quarterback recruit when he signed with Ohio State in 2008, had already been suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season.
Tennessee: Coach Derek Dooley dismissed defensive tackle Montori Hughes for unspecified reasons. The 6-foot-4, 327-pound junior played in 12 games in 2010.
Five Mexicans banned from Gold Cup
The Mexican football federation said five players from its national team have tested positive for banned substances and have been removed Thursday from the squad playing in the Gold Cup. The players named by the Mexican federation are goalkeeper Guilleremo Ochoa, defenders Edgar Duenas and Francisco Rodriguez, and midfielders Christian Bermudez and Antonio Naelson. Decio De Maria, general secretary of the Mexican federation, said he believed the players tested positive by ingesting contaminated food.
The last word
Notoriously bad golfer Charles Barkley told reporters on Thursday he's seriously considering playing left-handed next month at the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship at Lake Tahoe. As Barkley put it:
"It can't be worse."