A Fayette County grand jury decided Wednesday not to indict former University of Kentucky football player Lloyd Tubman on a charge of first-degree rape.
"It's over," Fayette Commonwealth's Attorney Ray Larson said.
According to court documents, Tubman, 20, was charged in October after a woman with whom he had a previous relationship accused him of raping her in her dorm room.
Larson said attorneys from his office presented evidence to the grand jury over a three-day period, "and they heard everything we could present, and they chose not to indict."
Never miss a local story.
"We're not in the grand jury room when they deliberate, so I have no idea, other than the fact that they didn't choose to indict based on the evidence," Larson said.
A message requesting comment was left for Tubman's attorney Jim Lowry at his law office.
UK officials said last week that Tubman was not enrolled at the university and was not taking classes. "I'm not sure what else to add — he's not enrolled, thus not on the team," athletics spokesman Tony Neely told the Herald-Leader.
On Thursday morning, when asked about Tubman's return to UK, a spokesman said, "He is not enrolled in school. We do not have any additional comment at this time."
It is unclear what the lack of an indictment will mean for Tubman's future with the Wildcats. After the charges were filed, Tubman was suspended indefinitely from the team, and football coach Mark Stoops said his plan was to "let the legal process go through its course."
Tubman, a 6-foot-5, 225-pound defensive end from Louisville, was a four-star recruit. He had 79 tackles, 22½ sacks and seven forced fumbles during his senior season at Seneca, where he was a three-year starter. He chose UK over Vanderbilt, Penn State, Louisville and Nebraska.
Tubman expressed his thoughts on Instagram Wednesday night.
"I have learned a lot. I'm blessed. There is a living God," he posted. "In God we trust. Thanks to all who have been praying for me and my family."