Most everyone knows about big-name retailers and Black Friday on the day after Thanksgiving. But for shopping with a local touch, nothing beats Small Business Saturday, a nationwide event to encourage the support of neighborhood businesses.
The businesses of Chevy Chase will host their annual Holiday Open House from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday. Stores between High Street, and Ashland and Euclid avenues will offer store specials with carolers, carriage rides and more.
But don’t limit yourself to Saturday. You’ll find loads of specials and events all weekend at shops around Lexington and beyond.
More shopping news
▪ Rose & Lime, 535 South Upper Street at Center Court, will host an open house Friday. You’ll find store specials, men’s and women’s apparel, gifts and refreshments. There’s free parking in the garage. Roseandlime.com.
▪ In July I wrote about Emma McKinstry, a New York-based jewelry maker who relocated to Lexington. Starting Friday through 11:59 p.m. Monday, McKinstry will offer 25 percent off her entire online store, including sale items, with the code THANKS. Original designs include necklaces, earrings and bracelets. Emmamckinstry.com.
▪ The annual Holiday Open House at Shops at Lexington Center, 430 West Vine Street, is 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday. Retailers will offer in-store specials. A free poinsettia will be given to shoppers with $100 or more of combined receipts from The Shops, while supplies last.
Activities will include a visit with Santa Claus from 3 to 5 p.m., holiday music and children’s activities. Lexingtoncenter.com.
▪ More than 200 vendors will offer holiday décor, crafts and handmade items at The Lexington Christmas Show at The Lexington Center Heritage Hall, 430 West Vine Street. Hours are 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Admission is $3, free for ages 12 and younger. Lexingtonchristmasshow.com.
▪ At the Woodland Triangle Shop Hop get your card stamped at participating businesses for a chance to win prizes, including three $100 Woodland Bucks cards. Stop by Friday through Dec. 20. Stores located along Kentucky Avenue, High and Maxwell streets and Woodland Avenue include Pink Spider, Decorator Warehouse, Fox House Vintage, Black Market and more.
▪ Lucia’s World Emporium, 328 North Ashland Avenue, will offer 15 percent off everything through Sunday The store is closed Thanksgiving Day.
▪ The Midway Christmas Open House is Saturday. Santa will arrive by train at 11 a.m. and hold court at the Depot Restaurant building from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Free carriage rides will be offered during that time.
▪ Ninety crafters from across the eastern United States will gather in Cincinnati for the Crafty Supermarket, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at Cincinnati Music Hall Ballroom, 1241 Elm Street. The event will include food trucks, a cash bar, craft activities and swag bags for the first 100 shoppers. Admission is free. Craftysupermarket.com.