Clark County

72-year-old veteran dies in Clark County house fire, reports say

A 72-year-old man died Tuesday after going back inside a Clark County home that had caught fire, according to media reports.

Preliminary investigation showed a natural gas leak and oxygen tanks fueled the fire and explosion, according to the Winchester Sun. When fire crews arrived, they found the home still heavily burning and it eventually collapsed, the Sun reported.

Michael Snowden and his wife made it out of the home, but the man was found dead after he went back inside, WKYT reported. The wife was uninjured, according to WKYT.

The house in the Goffs community is around 20 minutes from downtown Winchester and has limited access to water, according to the Sun.

Oxygen tanks, which Snowden used in the home, were heard by the fire department exploding, according to WKYT. Snowden removed a gas heater from the basement earlier in the day and a gas line was leaking, the Winchester Sun reported. When he was later sharpening a lawn mower blade, a spark started the fire, Clark County Sheriff Berl Perdue, Jr. told the Sun.

It’s not known why Snowden re-entered the house after the fire.

Snowden’s family described him to WKYT as a veteran who loved his family and country.

  Comments