South Elkhorn Christian Church celebrated the 250th anniversary of its founding in Spottsylvania, Va., on May 21. During the ceremony, a Blue Grass Trust plaque was unveiled on the side of the church's historic sanctuary, which was built in 1870.
The South Elkhorn congregation is one of the oldest continuously operating institutions of any kind in Central Kentucky, founded 25 years before Kentucky became a state. It is one of the four oldest churches in the Disciples of Christ denomination.
The congregation was founded eight years before Col. Robert Patterson encamped at McConnell Springs and located in Kentucky the year before the city of Lexington was chartered.
Lewis Craig was the first pastor of the congregation, and his brother Elijah, also a minister, is better known as one of the founding fathers of the bourbon industry in Kentucky. At one point in the church’s history, the pastor was paid in bourbon.
For more information, go to Southelkhorncc.org.