Fayette County

‘A great provider.’ Man killed in Lexington UPS accident was known for his caution

Anthony “Andy” Schanding
Anthony “Andy” Schanding Provided by Elizabeth Hughes

A man who died Tuesday after an accident at a UPS facility in Lexington was known for his caution and attention to safety, his family said.

Anthony “Andy” T. Schanding, 43, of Carlisle died at University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital at 12:09 p.m. Tuesday after the accident at the UPS Customer Center on Mercer Road.

He was working on a conveyor, said Tim Dixon, Schanding’s brother-in-law. The exact cause of Schanding’s injuries and the circumstances surrounding the accident have not been released publicly or to the family.

Schanding’s family said in an interview Wednesday that he always put safety first, on and off the job. His sister, Elizabeth Hughes, said that Schanding’s supervisor at UPS told the family that he was known for always being cautious and wearing his safety harness while working. He was wearing the harness at the time of the accident, she said.

Schanding was married for 21 years to Sarah Dixon Schanding and had two children, Elliot and Emilee.

“He was a great provider, and a good father and a good husband,” Hughes said.

Schanding loved his job at UPS, his family said.

“I never saw anyone who loved to go to work as much as he did,” Dixon said.

Dixon, who also used to work at the UPS facility, said that many companies’ push for speed and the desire to “squeeze every nickel” out of workers can lead to accidents.

“Companies are greedy,” Dixon said. “That’s when mistakes are made.”

Schanding’s family has been contacted by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and told that they will receive a full report at the conclusion of the current investigation into what happened.

Schanding had worked at UPS in Lexington for the past year, and before that had worked with Stamler/Joy Mining in Millersburg for 20 years, according to his obituary.

Clark Funeral Home in Carlisle is in charge of funeral arrangements. His visitation is scheduled for Saturday at 11 a.m. and funeral will follow at 2 p.m., according to the obituary.

UPS’ facility on Blue Sky Parkway, a separate facility than Tuesday’s incident, has been involved in two serious accidents this year. In May, a propane torch set off an explosion at the facility. In August, a 50-year-old man died when a commercial lawnmower he was operating overturned and landed on top of him outside of the facility.