It’s finally over.
The Nov. 6 general election has come and gone. Political ads are off the airwaves. But yard signs touting particular candidates are still plentiful in front yards and along roadways.
The city of Lexington wants them.
The wire frames will get a second life as stakes for “Slow Down!” signs the city is using as part of its Safe Streets initiative, which encourage drivers to be aware of pedestrians and cyclists.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
This is the first time the city has launched a campaign to reuse the signs, which can’t be recycled.
“A lot of people put them in the recycling cart and that causes a lot of damage at the recycling center,” said Angela Poe, public information manager for Lexington’s department of environmental quality and public works.
Damage caused by the signs is what prompted the city to think of news ways to reuse the signs and keep them out of recycling bins, Poe said.
The signs will also be reused for local art projects. ARTPlay, a childrens’ art studio on North Ashland, has requested many of them, Poe said.
Those who have a large number of signs should email email@example.com to arrange a drop-off at the Government Center. Collection sites are still being added. For an up-to-date list, visit www.LexingtonKY.gov/LiveGreen or follow @LiveGreenLex on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
Want a “Slow Down” sign for your yard? You can pick one up from the security desk at the city government center, 200 East Main St., during normal business hours.
Look for collection bins at the following locations until Thursday, Nov. 15:
▪ Broomwagon Coffee + Bikes (800 N. Limestone)
▪ Government Center (200 East Main)
▪ Kenwick Community Center (313 Owsley Ave.)
▪ Lexington Senior Center (195 Life Lane)
▪ Pivot Brewing (1400 Delaware Ave.)
▪ West Sixth Brewing (501 West Sixth St.)
▪ Carol Martin Gatton Beaumont YMCA (3251 Beaumont Centre Circle)
▪ High Street YMCA (239 High St.)
▪ North Lexington YMCA (381 W. Loudon Ave.)
▪ Whitaker Family YMCA(2681 Old Rosebud Ave.)