Fayette County

Firefighters save dog from Lexington apartment fire. Rest of the building evacuated.

Saving Bella: Dog caught in Lexington apartment fire

Lexington firefighters revive Bella, a 4-year old Chihuahua-Jack Russell Terrier mix who was caught on the third floor of a structure fire at Lyndhurst Place in Lexington.
Up Next
Lexington firefighters revive Bella, a 4-year old Chihuahua-Jack Russell Terrier mix who was caught on the third floor of a structure fire at Lyndhurst Place in Lexington.

Lexington firefighters rescued and revived a dog from an apartment fire on Lyndhurst Place, near East High Street and Rose Street, on Tuesday.

The fire started in a kitchen.

A firefighter removed the dog — 4-year-old Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix Bella — from the apartment while smoke was visible in the window. Officers began resuscitating the dog and summoned the owner to the dog to comfort it.

Battalion Chief Marc Bramlage said the dog will likely need to visit a veterinarian but should be OK. He said the fire likely started on a stove top. The damage was limited to the kitchen and no one was injured, he said.

Lyndhurst Place, Stone Avenue and Rose Street were partially blocked by firetrucks as firefighters contained the fire. Bramlage said.

LEX_190709_fireRCH003
Krista McLaughlin kisses her dog, Bella, a 4-year old chihuahua-Jack Russell Terrier mix, who was caught on the third floor of a structure fire at Lyndhurst Place in Lexington, Ky., Tuesday, July 9, 2019. First responders from the Lexington Fire Department, including David Baker, right, revived the dog. Ryan C. Hermens rhermens@herald-leader.com

  Comments