Shane Ragland wants a new civil trial in the 1994 shooting death of a University of Kentucky football player because he thinks the $63.3 million verdict against him is excessive.
In a motion filed in Fayette Circuit Court, Ragland's attorney, David Broderick of Bowling Green, said the jury in the August wrongful death trial acted "under the influence of passion or prejudice or in disregard of the evidence."
Ragland was sued by the family of Trent DiGiuro, who was slain on Woodland Avenue in July 1994 as he was celebrating his upcoming 21st birthday.
Neither Ragland nor his attorneys attended the trial.
Broderick could not immediately be reached for comment Tuesday afternoon.
DiGiuro's father, Mike, had a one-word reaction to the news.
"Whatever," he said.
DiGiuro noted that Ragland had offered to settle the case for $50 million, a largely symbolic offer because he has few assets to his name.
Ragland pleaded guilty last year to second-degree manslaughter.
He was convicted of murder in 2002, but the Kentucky Supreme Court overturned the verdict.
A DiGiuro family attorney, David Pratt of Lexington, said Ragland's motion isn't going anywhere because he didn't show up for the civil trial.
"It doesn't really make a lot of sense," Pratt said. "If they don't really intend to pay any of it to begin with, then what difference does it make?"
The motion does not state whether Ragland would appear at a second civil trial.