Fayette County

Husband of slain Lexington doctor speaks about the night of her death

Dr. Martha Post
Dr. Martha Post

Dr. Robert Truitt last talked to his wife, Dr. Martha Post, about 5 p.m. Thursday when he took a candy bar to her in the office building they shared, Truitt said Friday.

Truitt, 53, who specializes in internal medicine, said he left work about 5:30 p.m. and went home. After feeding their dogs at about 7, he found that he was locked out of the house, he said.

"I texted her I was locked out. She said she'd be right there," he told the Herald-Leader. "We were texting back and forth, and then the texts just stopped."

Truitt said he was hoping that his wife had stopped somewhere on her way home from work to get a dress to wear to a black-tie affair the couple were going to attend next week, or that her iPhone battery had gone out.

But Post was dead. The 55-year-old dermatologist was found "in her vehicle with multiple gunshot wounds to her face and torso," according to a police report.

Fayette County Coroner Gary Ginn confirmed that she died of multiple gunshot wounds and said Post was pronounced dead at 8:25 p.m. Thursday.

Post apparently was backing out of the parking lot at her office at 2351 Huguenard Drive when she was shot. Police were called about 7:45 p.m. Thursday after her van rolled into a car on Huguenard Drive.

Post's death is the 14th homicide in Lexington this year.

Truitt said he tried calling his wife after the texts from her stopped but couldn't reach her. He had a daughter try, and then he called one of Post's sisters, who went to the office building where the two doctors worked. When the sister arrived, the police were there, he said.

Truitt said he was sitting on his back porch, waiting, when three police officers approached.

"I know what it means when three cops come to see you," Truitt said. "I said, 'I know this is something bad.' I said, 'What's happened to her?' and they told me she had been murdered."

Sherelle Roberts, spokeswoman for Lexington police, said police have "persons of interest" in Post's slaying. Roberts declined to answer questions about those individuals. No arrests had been made by late Friday.

Truitt said a man had been stalking his wife for about a year and a half. The man had formerly lived in an apartment in the basement of the office building where Truitt and Post worked, Truitt said.

The man, who had done renovation work on the office building, had been allowed to live in the basement because he had no place to live, Truitt said. He had been a guest at Post's and Truitt's home at Christmas and Thanksgiving, Truitt said.

But the man began having problems and stopped living in the basement apartment, Truitt said.

"He would call up in the middle of the night and say he loved her," Truitt said. "We put in several police reports."

Truitt declined to give the man's name. Roberts declined to answer questions about the man.

Friday morning, office staff at Commonwealth Dermatology were dealing with Post's death.

Employees were looking at the tracks left by Post's vehicle.

"We don't know a lot at this point," said Kim Stoll, a nurse at Commonwealth Dermatology. "Everybody is in a state of shock."

Post's business was closed Friday, as was her husband's office. Patients were being alerted to canceled appointments.

Post, a Detroit native who grew up in Louisville, received an undergraduate degree from St. John's College, having studied at the college's Santa Fe, N.M., and Annapolis, Md., campuses. She studied organic chemistry at Stanford University and later graduated from the University of Louisville medical school. She completed residencies at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit.

Post and Truitt met when they were students at U of L. They married in 1986.

"Martha Post was the rock of our family. She loved without boundaries and was giving of spirit," her family said in a statement Friday night. "We will miss her generosity, thoughtfulness and love, which cannot be replaced. Martha had the wonderful ability to always see the best and bring out the best in people, and words cannot express how much we will miss her."

Post enjoyed swimming and hiking. She played the piano at St. Michael's Episcopal Church in Lexington for a while. At her death, she was attending Lexington's Second Presbyterian Church.

"No matter what was going on in her life, she always smiled," said her daughter Caitlin Truitt.

Post, who was certified by the American Board of Dermatology, opened her Lexington practice in 1992.

Stoll said Post was the last person she thought such a tragedy could happen to. Her patients and staff loved her, Stoll said.

Dr. Chris Buckley, a dermatologist now living in Miami, worked with Post at Commonwealth Dermatology for about a year. He described her as selfless, giving and kind.

"She was one of the most beautiful people I have ever met," he said. "She is the last person in the world I would ever expect (anyone) to have any animosity towards."

In addition to her husband and daughter Caitlin, a student at Tulane University, Post is survived by two other daughters, Erin Truitt, a medical student at Tufts University, and Kathryn Truitt, a student at the University of Tampa; her parents, Dr. Henry Post, a retired cardiologist, and Angie Post of Lexington; two brothers; and four sisters.

Arrangements were pending at W.R. Milward Mortuary — Broadway.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader