Take a look at this photo our historical photo blog, KyPhotoArchive.com, pulled from our archives. It shows St. Joseph Hospital at 544 West Second Street in Lexington in November 1947.
St. Joseph, Lexington’s first hospital, opened in 1877 on Linden Walk, near Maxwell Street. In 1878, it moved to this Second Street address, going through several additions and renovations in the 81 years to follow.
In 1959, the hospital moved to its current site on Harrodsburg Road. The four-story building shown here, which had a 300-bed capacity, was razed in 1966. It is now the site of Connie Griffith Manor, a 10-story senior housing apartment building managed by the Lexington Housing Authority.
This photo was published in the Lexington Herald-Leader on Nov. 16, 1947, with a story about the hospital celebrating its 70th anniversary in Lexington. Click here to see a PDF of that page of the newspaper.