Lexington firefighters believe dry conditions may have contributed to the quick spread of a fire Tuesday night that damaged the Bluegrass Truss Co building on Lima Drive.
The fire department got a call from the building’s alarm company about 6:20 p.m. about smoke alarms going off, Battalion Chief Mark Harvey said. One person was in the building and called to confirm there was a fire when he saw the warehouse was filling with smoke.
Harvey said the fire likely started in a container for discarded cigarettes. The fire was ruled as an accident.
The flames spread quickly up a side wall and into the roof and trusses, Harvey said. The sprinkler system helped keep the fire under control until firefighters arrived.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
The building was damaged, but it would probably be able to be repaired quickly, Harvey said.
Wind and dry conditions have led to a city-wide burn ban that will continue into Wednesday. Harvey said those conditions may have led to the quick spread of the fire on Lima Drive.
The fire department responded to several mulch fires throughout the day Tuesday that were also thought to be a result of dry conditions.