Fayette officer wounded; two men sought

Lexington police are seeking a man who shot an officer early Monday morning, and they have an arrest warrant for the shooter's companion.

Jesse Lewis Mayberry, 26, is wanted for allegedly fleeing a police officer in relation to the investigation. The man who fire the shot, hitting Officer Nicholas Whitcomb in the shoulder, was not identified.

Whitcomb responded to a call about a suspicious vehicle with two occupants about 2 a.m. at 1053 Winburn Drive, Officer Christopher Sutton said.

Two men were in a Dodge Intrepid when the officer arrived. Mayberry was the driver.

Whitcomb asked the passenger to get out of the car to talk. During the conversation, the passenger ducked into the car, came back out and ran, Sutton said.

Whitcomb, 22, and a backup officer who had arrived gave chase. The man turned back, fired at the officers and continued running, Sutton said.

Whitcomb dove to the ground after he saw the muzzle fire. A bullet entered the back of Whitcomb's shoulder and traveled into his opposite shoulder, Sutton said.

The second officer took Whitcomb to University of Kentucky Hospital in his police car. The bullet was removed, and Whitcomb is expected to recover, Sutton said.

Whitcomb has worked for the police since December 2007.

Police searched the Winburn Drive area Monday for the man who shot the officer and for Mayberry, who also fled the scene on foot.

The passenger was described as a black male, 5 feet 9 or 5 feet 10 inches tall, with a tattoo under his right eye. He is in his 20s.

Mayberry is a black man, 6 feet-2 and 200 pounds. He has shoulder-length dreadlocks.

Police said anyone with information should contact the Personal Crimes Section of the Lexington Police Department at (859) 258-3700 or Bluegrass Crime Stoppers at (859) 253-2020.

This is the first time since 2003 that a Lexington police officer has been shot in the line of duty.

In that instance, Officer Aaron Kidd was shot in the face by robbery suspect James Salyers.

Kidd, who fired back, killing Salyers, recovered and later returned to full duty.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader