Detective gives grisly details of Lexington slaying; case goes to grand jury

Daniel Gadson
Daniel Gadson

After forcing him onto his stomach and tying his hands, Ira Robinson's attacker asked how he was doing.

When Robinson replied that he was fine, and told Daniel Gadson and two others to take what they wanted and get out of his home, Gadson said, "You won't be fine for long," grabbed the prone man's head and began slicing his throat, Detective Bill Brislin testified Thursday in Fayette District Court.

It was one of several grisly details revealed by Brislin during his testimony at a preliminary hearing in Fayette District Court. Those details were told to officers by Robinson, who survived the "almost deadly" throat slashing, Brislin said.

The attack happened Nov. 30 at Robinson's townhouse at 243 Hedgewood Court in the Woodhill area. Another man, Darryl Carter, 22, who police think was visiting Robinson, was shot and killed, Brislin said.

Gadson, 28, and Elzandrae Warren, 27, have been charged with murder. They appeared in court with their attorneys Thursday, listening quietly and occasionally shaking their heads as Brislin recounted the police version of events.

Judge Megan Lake Thornton waived the case to a grand jury after listening to nearly 30 minutes of testimony and cross-examination.

A teenager whose name has not been released also has been charged with murder. His case is in juvenile court.

According to Brislin, Robinson and Warren knew each other "from previous contact through the judicial system." They had met earlier in the day to arrange a drug deal, he said.

When Warren later arrived at the townhouse to pick up the drugs, he apparently had brought Gadson and the juvenile with him. When Robinson opened the door, the three people rushed in, forced the men to the ground at gunpoint and tied them up with power cords that they cut from an iron and a heater, Brislin said.

Warren and Gadson began rifling through the men's pockets and looking through the residence, taking a designer watch, about $500 in cash and possibly other items, Brislin said. Gadson apparently found the knife while he was "pilfering" items upstairs, the detective said.

As Gadson was trying to cut his throat, Robinson was able to free his hands and get up, fighting off Gadson while being stabbed several times in the head and back, Robinson told police.

He suffered "extensive injuries to his face and neck, to the point where he will have to have several surgeries, I believe, to repair his face," Brislin said.

After Robinson pushed past Gadson and fled toward the back door, he heard two gunshots.

One bullet hit him in the right leg, but he didn't know who fired it, Brislin said. When police arrived, they found Carter, who was known among friends as Hoptown, because he was from Hopkinsville, dead on the floor from a single gunshot wound to the neck.

After Robinson saw the attackers drive away, he ran to the house of a neighbor, who called 911. Robinson was taken to University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, where he identified a police photo of Warren, allowing officers to get a robbery warrant for his arrest, Brislin said.

Robinson later identified Gadson, who is from Louisiana, from a photo lineup, the detective said.

Police tracked Warren to an apartment on Alexandria Drive, where the juvenile and two women were arrested after officers saw drugs inside the apartment, Brislin said.

One of the women, Natalie Abreu, was arrested after she testified Thursday because Brislin said she admitted to deleting text messages from Gadson's phone. She is charged with possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana and tampering with physical evidence.

Several of Carter's friends and relatives applauded as a sheriff's deputy led Abreu into the inmate holding area.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader