Jealousy led to confrontation and fatal shooting, Lexington detective says

Being a jealous husband led Anthoney Carol Beaumont Jr. to an encounter in which he was fatally shot, a Lexington police detective testified Monday.

Beaumont, 31, was fighting with Aaron Denard "Nardy" Dudley in the parking lot of Northpoint/Lexington Health Care Center on Oct. 2 when another man, Maurice Ward Jr., 22, shot Beaumont, detective Steve McCown testified during a preliminary hearing.

Beaumont was suspicious of Dudley because he had learned of some text messages and cellphone calls between Dudley and Beaumont's wife, Brandis, who was employed by the nursing home at 1500 Trent Boulevard, where the shooting occurred, McCown testified.

Brandis Beaumont told her husband that nothing was going on between her and Dudley, but Anthoney Beaumont didn't believe her. McCown said. Brandis Beaumont said she had been in contact with Dudley only to console him about the recent death of his mother, McCown testified.

Fayette District Judge Joseph T. Bouvier found probable cause Monday to send Ward's case to a grand jury for possible criminal indictment.

Police downloaded a video taken from a surveillance camera outside the nursing home. The video shows Beaumont shoving Dudley, McCown said, but the altercation then moves out of the camera frame.

Witnesses told police that Anthoney Beaumont was fighting with another man when Ward pulled out a handgun and shot Beaumont. Witnesses identified Ward through a six-person photo lineup, McCown said.

When defense attorney Jackie Horn asked McCown on Monday who identified Ward in the photo lineup, McCown asked the judge if that person's identity could be kept secret because the person's safety "is in question."

Bouvier did not require the detective to identify the person, but he said the identity would be necessary as part of a future pretrial conference.

After the shooting, Ward drove away in a car with a man named Delvegio Lax, McCown said. Lax also was identified in the photo lineup, McCown said.

Asked why Ward was charged but Lax was not, McCown said police have not been able to locate Lax.

Ward fled to Memphis after the shooting, police said. He was arrested there Oct. 15 and signed a waiver of extradition the next day.

McCown said the case remains under investigation.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader