Judge is asked to delay trial on Morgan County judge-executive's fraud case

Judge-Executive Timothy Conley, who was arrested Monday, led recovery efforts in West Liberty.
Judge-Executive Timothy Conley, who was arrested Monday, led recovery efforts in West Liberty.

The attorney for Morgan County Judge-Executive Tim Conley, who was indicted last month in a federal fraud case, filed a motion Friday asking a judge to postpone the scheduled Feb. 4 trial date in Frankfort.

Ben Shields of Mount Sterling said the U.S. Attorney's Office has provided "thousands of documents" to the defense, including "numerous recorded in-person conversations, over 100 recorded wire-tapped phone conversations" and "multiple days of aerial surveillance of the defendant's movements."

Shields said the defense awaits the government's production of forensic computer analyses.

Investigators confiscated records and a computer from Conley's office in August 2013.

Shields said he and Conley "have not had adequate time to digest all of the materials produced. ... It is clear from the multitude of discovery produced the defendant does not have adequate time to analyze, investigate and prepare" for the Feb. 2 trial.

Shields asked that the deadline for filing defense motions to be extended by 90 days and asks that a new trial date be scheduled.

Conley is charged with running a scheme to fraudulently steer county construction contracts to a Salyersville company owned by Kenneth and Ruth Gambill in exchange for kickbacks, according to a federal indictment unsealed in December.

The scheme, which allegedly ran from early 2009 until August 2013, funneled about $1.1 million to the Salyersville firm, according to the indictment.

Some of the contracts involved were for the cleanup of debris left by the March 2, 2012, tornado that devastated West Liberty and much of Morgan County, the indictment alleges.

Conley pleaded not guilty Dec. 10 to four counts of fraud, one count of theft and one count of money laundering and conspiracy. The Gambills also pleaded not guilty on Dec. 30.

Related stories from Lexington Herald Leader