Two attempted abductions of Jessie Clark Middle School students occurred in two days in the Southview Drive area, according to an administrator’s letters to parents.
In a letter Wednesday, Principal Cecil Combs said the school received a report of a man in a car early Wednesday attempting to talk to a Jessie Clark student heading for a bus stop.
Combs said the man offered the boy “candy and a ride in a sports car.”
Combs said the student’s family identified the man in the car as a neighbor and reported the incident to the Lexington Police Department.
An earlier attempted abduction had been reported to families Tuesday night.
In an email, Combs said a man tried to grab a student near a bus stop a little more than a mile from the school Tuesday morning.
The attempted abduction was reported to have happened in the area of Southview Drive and Lamont Drive while the student was walking to the stop, according to the email.
“This provides an excellent opportunity to reinforce with our students how important it is for them to be aware of their surroundings and to be cautious around strangers,” Combs said in Wednesday’s letter. “Students who walk to school or the bus stop are encouraged to stay in pairs or groups, avoid darkened areas and use main streets instead of shortcuts.”
Lexington Police Lt. Jonathan Bastian said police typically increase patrols when it is suspected children are being targeted for crimes, but he could not comment on the specific incidents.