Avery Williamson (UK) led the Tennessee Titans with nine tackles — four solo — and made the second interception of his NFL career in a 17-10 loss to the Oakland Raiders.
The Titans’ defense came into Sunday having given up just one touchdown in its first two games. Tennessee gave up two in the first half before shutting down the Raiders the rest of the way. It was the third straight week the Titans held their opponent’s offense to 17 or fewer points.
Williamson’s interception, early in the fourth quarter off a tipped ball by teammate Jason McCourty, had the Titans thinking comeback, but costly penalties helped prevent that.
“I thought we were about to have another fourth-quarter victory, but we just couldn’t get things to go our way,” Williamson told TitansOnline.com. “We have to bounce back and be ready to get a win next week.”
Wesley Woodyard (UK) had three tackles and Antonio Andrews (Fort Campbell, WKU) added one on special teams for Tennessee.
“If you want to be a good team, we’ve got to learn to pull through and win those close games,” Woodyard said. “One thing I will say, is I’m proud of my teammates. We stuck in and fought hard all the way until the final seconds clicked off of the clock. We gave ourselves a chance to win, but we have to do better.”
Titans receiver Harry Douglas (U of L) had two catches for 20 yards.
▪ Corey Peters (UK) made two tackles, including one on LeSean McCoy for a safety, in the Cardinals’ 33-18 loss to the Bills.
“We have a good group, we just have to bounce back,” Peters said, according to a report on the team’s website. “But it’s not just going to happen. We have to work to make it happen.”
Preston Brown (U of L) made five tackles, including one for a loss, for Buffalo.
▪ DeVante Parker (Ballard, U of L) scored his first touchdown of the season on a 26-yard catch from Ryan Tannehill early in the first quarter of the Dolphins’ 30-24 win in overtime against the Browns. He finished with three catches and 51 yards on six targets. Gary Barnidge (U of L) had five receptions for 66 yards for Cleveland.
▪ Za’Darius Smith (UK) made 3 tackles — all solo with two for a loss — in the Ravens’ come-from-behind 19-17 win against the Jaguars.
▪ Jack Doyle (Western Kentucky) had six catches for 65 yards in the Colts’ 26-22 win against the Chargers.
▪ Randall Cobb (UK) was held to one catch for 33 yards on three targets in the Packers’ 34-27 victory against the Lions. Aaron Rodgers was 15-for-24 for 205 yards and four TDs for Green Bay.
▪ William Gay (U of L) made five tackles and Mike Mitchell (Covington Catholic, Highlands) had four in the Steelers’ 34-3 loss to the Eagles. Pittsburgh’s Eli Rogers (U of L) had two catches for 32 yards.
▪ Bilal Powell (U of L) ran for 30 yards on four carries and caught six passes for 41 yards in the Jets’ 24-3 loss to the Chiefs. Powell also lost a fumble, one of the team’s eight turnovers that included six interceptions by quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. New York’s Calvin Pryor (U of L) made three tackles, and Lorenzo Mauldin (U of L) had two, including splitting a sack with Darron Lee.