The latest release in the NBA 2K series, “NBA 2K18,” will feature all-time teams for each of the NBA’s 30 franchises. Several former University of Kentucky stars made the cut, according to a post from game’s official Facebook page.
A total of 10 former Wildcats are on rosters — some appearing for more than one team. Six of those players selected are still playing.
▪ DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis, both currently with the New Orleans Pelicans, and Jamal Mashburn are on that franchise’s all-time roster along with Mashburn. Davis and Mashburn are default starters for the team while Cousins is the highest-rated reserve.
▪ Cousins is also listed as a reserve for the Sacramento Kings.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ Rajon Rondo, a Louisville native, and Antoine Walker both are listed as backups for the Boston Celtics. Rondo, who played for the Celtics from 2006-2014 and won an NBA title in 2008 as the team’s starting point guard, is currently with the Pelicans. Walker played for the Celtics from 1996-2003 and in 2005, and won a title with the Miami Heat in 2006.
▪ Mashburn is a reserve for the Dallas Mavericks. Mashburn played four seasons with the Mavericks and averaged 19.1 points over his 12-year NBA career.
▪ Dan Issel is the starting center for the Denver Nuggets. Issel spent the beginning of his professional career in the ABA with the Kentucky Colonels, with whom he won a league championship. He is Denver’s all-time leader in rebounds and its second all-time leading scorer.
▪ Eric Bledsoe is a reserve for the Los Angeles Clippers. He currently is on the Phoenix Suns roster.
▪ Karl-Anthony Towns, who was drafted first overall in 2015 and won Rookie of the Year in 2016, is a reserve for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
▪ John Wall and Rex Chapman are both on the Washington Wizards roster. Wall, who was drafted No. 1 overall by the Wizards in 2010 and recently signed a four-year, $170 million contract extension with the franchise, is a starter. Chapman, who played for Washington from 1992-1995 and when they were known as the Bullets, is a reserve.
Some other notable inclusions outside of UK guys are:
▪ Wes Unseld, a former Seneca High School star who played at the University of Louisville, is a starter for the Washington Wizards. He helped lead that franchise, then known as the Bullets, to its only NBA championship in 1978.
▪ Allan Houston, who played at Ballard High School in Louisville before starring at the University of Tennessee, is a starting guard for the New York Knicks.
▪ Darrell Griffith, a Louisville native who played at Male High School and for U of L, is a reserve for the Utah Jazz.
▪ Dave Cowens, a Newport native who played for Newport Catholic, is a reserve for the Boston Celtics.
▪ Christian Laettner, whom UK fans have no trouble remembering, is a reserve for the Minnesota Timberwolves.
▪ Hal Greer, who grew up across the river in Huntington, W.Va., before playing at Marshall University, is a starter for the Philadelphia 76ers.
▪ Hassan Whiteside, who also played at Marshall, is a reserve for the Miami Heat.