Benny Snell after Florida loss: ‘We were the better team’
Instant analysis from Kentucky’s 28-27 loss to No. 20 Florida:
How the game was won
Backup quarterback Luke Del Rio rallied Florida from a 27-13 second-half deficit to its 31st straight win over Kentucky.
1. Luke Del Rio. Beaten out for the starting job before the season, the Florida QB led a rally to remember.
2. Malik Davis and Kadarius Toney. Florida’s true freshmen playmakers showed the future is bright.
3. Florida football program. Its role in life seems to be breaking Kentucky hearts.
1. Kentucky second-half play calling. When UK had the chance to go for the jugular, the offense got very conservative.
2. Kentucky leaving receivers uncovered for touchdowns. Giving up two TDs — TWO! — to uncovered wideouts is inexcusable.
3. Kentucky football program. Nights like these are why people think it is cursed.
31. No explanation required.
Passion for fashion
For its 2017 SEC home opener, Kentucky wore silver chrome helmets, anthracite jerseys with white numbers and letters and anthracite pants.
Kentucky (3-1) will face Mid-American Conference foe Eastern Michigan at 4 p.m. Saturday at Kroger Field in a game that will be televised by the SEC Network. The Eagles (2-1) lost to Ohio University 27-20 Saturday in their MAC opener.
Know your foe
1. From 1997-2000, Eastern Michigan Coach Chris Creighton was head coach of Ottawa University in Kansas. A notable alumnus of Ottawa is Kentucky Athletics Director Mitch Barnhart.
2. A season ago, Eastern Michigan (7-6) ended the second-longest bowl drought in the country by earning an invitation to the Bahamas Bowl — where it fell to Old Dominion 24-20. It was the Eagles’ first trip to the post-season since they beat San Jose State 30-27 in the 1987 California Bowl.
3. Eastern Michigan already has a win over a major conference foe. In week two, Eastern Michigan rode three Paulie Fricano field goals to a 16-13 win over Rutgers of the Big Ten. It was the first win over a power-five conference team in school history.