High School Sports

Bryan Station claims first boys' state track title since 1983

Bryan Station's Tre Duncan, who fouled in every attempt in the long jump, later won the triple jump at 44 feet, 81/4 inches.
Bryan Station's Tre Duncan, who fouled in every attempt in the long jump, later won the triple jump at 44 feet, 81/4 inches. Herald-Leader

LOUISVILLE — At times Saturday, things looked bleak to the Bryan Station boys' track and field team.

Not even a string of errors, though, were enough to keep the Defenders from winning the Class 3A State Meet.

Bryan Station's first title since 1983 came down to the 4-by-400 relay: the Defenders vs. Male's Bulldogs.

Bryan Station went in with a 58-57 lead over Trinity, which wasn't in the relay. Third-place Male had 55.

Male won the race in 3:20.09, but Woody Lapierre brought Bryan Station home in second, in 3:29.92.

By finishing 39 hundredths of a second ahead of North Hardin, the Defenders edged Male 66-65 for team honors at Owsley Frazier Cardinal Park.

"Awesome," Lapierre said of his anchor role. "I love it."

Bryan Station overcame a three-foul exit by Tre Duncan in the long jump, a botched handoff in the 4-by-100 relay and Bolagi Ogbulu's lane violation in the 400. In the high hurdles, Jacob Mclimore false-started and Malcolm Smith was disqualified.

"We had so many disqualifications and just mistakes that were made by these kids, that they know not to make," said Kathy Broadnax, in her fifth year as coach. "I really just couldn't believe it."

Mclimore came back to win the 300-meter hurdles.

"I got DQ'd for a false start in the 110s and that just really motivated me to put everything into the 300," said Mclimore, who edged Henry Clay's Dorian Robinson by four-hundredths of a second in 38.80. "I kept telling myself over and over I had to get a perfect start, and I had to keep my rhythm over the hurdles. The adrenaline was there, my mind-set was right and I just got it. I'm really, really thankful. I feel blessed."

Duncan, who won the triple jump earlier in the day, got picked up as teammate Corey Williams won the long jump. Williams also was runner-up in the triple jump.

Smith led off and Ogbulu ran the third leg on the 4-by-400 relay, with Kevin Ross on second leg.

"When I met with them last night, I told them, 'Don't let it come down to the four-by-four, because I don't want to put the pressure on these guys to have to win this meet,'" Broadnax said. "But I talked to them before the race and I said, 'Whatever happens now, we're a team; but you have to make this the race of your life. If you make it the race of your life, we're unstoppable.' And they just fought to the end."

Bryan Station won seven team titles, including five in a row ending in 1983, under the late Paul Woodall.

Woodall's wife, Reba, coached Bryan Station's girls to eight state titles, the last coming in 1988.

Reba Woodall, part of the State Meet staff, was among the first to congratulate Broadnax.

"It's very emotional, and I'm very glad that the boys were able to do it. Any way you can that's legal," Woodall said with a laugh. "I'm very proud of them, and they're great kids. I'm very happy for Kathy, the coach."

Male had won the state title the previous five years.

Meet records fell to Trinity's James Quick in the 200 (20.94), Butler's Tretez Kinnaird in the 800 (1:49.96) and St. Xavier in the 4-by-800 relay (7:52.18).

In the 200, Quick, knees flying high, out-kicked 100 and 400 repeat winner Ronnie Baker of Ballard. Quick's second straight win in the 200 goes along this school year with state titles in football and basketball.

"It's what every young guy wants to happen to them in life, and I'm fortunate enough to have it happen to me," Quick said.

When he saw his final time on the scoreboard, he said, "it was amazing, the adrenaline rush going through me."

Kinnaird anchored Butler to a runner-up spot behind St. X in the 4-by-800, in a school-record 7:53.45.

He dropped out of the 1,600 near the halfway point because "I just wasn't mentally ready for it."

That at least set him up for his 800 record.

"I felt a little fresher, so I thought why not go for it — break 1:50 again," he said.

Paul Laurence Dunbar freshman Elijah Olige took second in 1:56.80.