Connor Haskins scored 32 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots for Buckhorn, which defeated Western Hills 69-60 in the opening game of the boys’ Traditional Bank Holiday Classic at Lexington Catholic on Saturday. In other action from the tournament’s first day:
▪ Bryan Station edged Kentucky Country Day, 58-56. Tim Dunn paced the Defenders with 16 points while Andre Davis had 14 points, eight rebounds and three assists. Station advanced to a second-round meeting with Lawton Chiles (Fla.) in spite of a double-double from KCD’s Colin Ferguson (23 points, 13 rebounds) and 20 points from Anthony Mathis.
▪ Paul Laurence Dunbar got by Fayette County (Ga.), 64-53, behind 19 points and nine boards from Taveion Hollingsworth. The Bulldogs, coming off a 2-2 showing in the King of the Bluegrass, got 12 points from Darius Williams while Jordan Lewis did a little bit of everything, scoring 14 points, grabbing six rebounds, dishing out four assists and nabbing three steals.
▪ Robert Dalton, Timmy Dalton and Austin Chaffin combined for 68 of Lawrence County’s points in the Bulldogs’ 84-76 win over Newport Central Catholic. Robert led the team with 24 to go with seven rebounds. Timmy had 22 points, 10 rebounds and four assists while Chaffin had 22, five assists and five boards. The Bulldogs, the 15th Region favorite, get Trinity (which received a first-round bye) in the second round on Sunday.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
▪ Caverna used big advantages in the second (21-10) and fourth (20-12) quarters to get by Bullitt Central, 62-56. Mason Faulkner, who came in leading all boys at 38 points a game, scored 23 points and had eight rebounds for the Colonels, who will meet Henry Clay in the second round.
▪ James Boone had 15 points and 11 rebounds to help Murray get past West Jessamine, 68-52. Zach Flener also scored 15 for the Tigers, who will meet John Hardin in the second round. Siah Holifield had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Colts.
▪ Danville defeated Knott County Central 69-56, setting up a second-round game with tournament host Lexington Catholic. Hayden Gifford led the Admirals with 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting, including a 4-for-8 clip from behind the arc. Spencer McKinney had 22 points for the Ads.
▪ Anthony Nelson scored 24 points and ripped down nine rebounds for Cordia, which defeated Frankfort 66-51. The Lions will play Henderson County on Sunday.