High School Football

Hazing case closed, Dunbar principal says

Officials at Paul Laurence Dunbar High School said they have completed their investigation of a hazing incident among some football players last week.

A freshman player was checked over at a Lexington hospital after being hit on the head by a 10-pound medicine ball Aug. 3. He was not seriously hurt.

Principal Anthony Orr said Tuesday that after reviewing the information gathered since last week, he's convinced that the incident was an intentional case of hazing by upperclassmen against some younger players, not simply horseplay that got out of hand.

"I think there was a plan ... and an intent to run some kids through a process, if you will," Orr said. "I don't think it was just some silliness."

Five players — all juniors — were dismissed from the team after the incident, which occurred in the weight room. Orr indicated Tuesday that the five won't be reinstated.

"As far as I am concerned, that situation is resolved," he said.

Meanwhile, officials are working to prevent any future such incidents.

"We've worked with our coaches, sponsors and teachers to re-emphasize the importance of supervision and responsibilities to kids," Orr said. "It's something we really go through every year with all our students, to say that we take these kinds of behavior very seriously, whether it's threatening, bullying or simply standing in front of a door to block someone's access."

  Comments