PASADENA – Jockey Laffit Pincay Jr. was awarded $2.7 million in a lawsuit that claimed an ambulance company caused his career-ending injuries by failing to properly treat him after a 2003 accident.
“I feel very good about it,” Pincay said.
The 60-year-old jockey broke two bones in his neck after his horse, Trampus Too, clipped the heels of Rainman's Request during the fifth race on March 1, 2003, at the Santa Anita racetrack. Pincay was thrown, and his horse fell on him.
The accident forced Pincay to retire after 9,530 victories – a record that held until 2006 – and more than $237 million in winnings.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
Pincay sued Huntington Ambulance Service, and Superior Court jurors issued the judgment Monday.
“He should have been put on a board and in a full body and neck brace. He was told to get into the back of the ambulance, and then they dropped him over at the track's first-aid station,” said Pincay's lawyer, Neil Papiano. “Our position is that if the right procedures had been followed, he would have been able to go back to riding about six to eight weeks after the accident.”
One of the ambulance company's owners said her business was not responsible for Pincay's retirement.
“He makes it look like our company doesn't know what it's doing,” said Stacey O'Bryan, part owner of Huntington. “We didn't cause the spill which caused him to fracture his neck. It wasn't because we did anything to cause any further injury.”
O'Bryan said she was not sure whether Huntington would appeal
Pincay also sued Santa Anita and the physician's assistant who treated him after the accident but reached out-of-court settlements with them last year.