This weekend is not last weekend, which was possibly the most marquee opening weekend in the entire history of college football. Still, there are some decent games, plus one spectacle.
CBS is televising Kentucky’s attempt to snap its historic 29-game losing streak to Florida when the Cats and Gators meet at The Swamp. Verne Lundquist, Gary Danielson and Allie LaForce have the 3:30 p.m. telecast on WKYT locally.
Also at 3:30 p.m., Western Kentucky’s Brohm Squad travels to Tuscaloosa to take on No. 1 Alabama. Despite losing quarterback Brandon Doughty to graduation, the Hilltoppers haven’t missed a beat with new quarterback Mike White, first in the nation in pass efficiency heading into Saturday. ESPN2 has that telecast.
As for other top games, you might want to check out Penn State at Pittsburgh; Arkansas at TCU; Texas Tech at Arizona State and Washington State at Boise State.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
The Saturday night spectacle is the Battle of Bristol. Tennessee and Virginia Tech meet at Bristol Motor Speedway, which has been converted into a football stadium. ABC has the 8 p.m. telecast. That’s WTVQ locally.
Here is the full list of Saturday games on television:
Saturday, Sept. 10
▪ 12:00 - Central Michigan at Oklahoma State (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 12:00 - Cincinnati at Purdue (Big 10)
▪ 12:00 - Howard at Rutgers (Big 10)
▪ I2:00 - Indiana State at Minnesota (ESPN News)
▪ 12:00 - Nicholls State at Georgia (SEC)
▪ 12:00 - North Carolina State at East Carolina (ESPNU)
▪ 12:00 - Penn State at Pittsburgh (ESPN)
▪ 12:00 - Prairie View at Texas A&M (SEC alternate)
▪ 12:00 - Rice at Army (CBS Sports)
▪ 12:00 - UCF at Michigan (ABC)
▪ 12:00 - Wyoming at Nebraska (ESPN2)
▪ 12:30 - Charleston Southern at Florida State (Fox Sports South)
▪ 2:30 - Ohio at Kansas (Fox Sports Ohio)
▪ 3:30 - Akron at Wisconsin (Big 10)
▪ 3:30 - Illinois State at Northwestern (Big 10)
▪ 3:30 - Kentucky at Florida (CBS)
▪ 3:30 - Nevada at Notre Dame (NBC)
▪ 3:30 - SMU at Baylor (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 3:30 - UConn at Navy (CBS Sports)
▪ 3:30 - Tulsa at Ohio State (ABC)
▪ 3:30 - Wake Forest at Duke (ESPNU)
▪ 3:30 - Western Kentucky at Alabama (ESPN2)
▪ 4:00 - Ball State at Indiana (ESPN News)
▪ 4:00 - Middle Tennessee at Vanderbilt (SEC alternate)
▪ 4:30 - Wofford at Ole Miss (SEC)
▪ 7:00 - Arkansas at TCU (ESPN)
▪ 7:00 - Northern Illinois at South Florida (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - South Carolina at Mississippi State (ESPN2)
▪ 7:30 - BYU at Utah (Fox)
▪ 7:30 - Arkansas State at Auburn (SEC)
▪ 7:30 - Eastern Michigan at Missouri (SEC alternate)
▪ 7:30 - Iowa State at Iowa (Big 10)
▪ 7:30 - Jacksonville State at LSU (ESPNU)
▪ 7:30 - North Carolina at Illinois (Big 10)
▪ 8:00 - Tennessee vs. Virginia Tech (ABC)
▪ 10:00 - Texas Tech at Arizona State (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 10:15 - Washington State at Boise State (ESPN2)
▪ 10:30 - California at San Diego State (CBS Sports)
▪ 10:30 - Virginia at Oregon (ESPN)
KENTUCKY AT FLORIDA
When: Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
Where: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fla.
TV: CBS with Verne Lundquist, Gary Danielson and Allie LaForce
Radio: UK Network with Tom Leach, Jeff Piecoro and Dick Gabriel