It’ll be a wild Saturday night in Morgantown when Bob Huggins’ West Virginia Mountaineers welcome John Calipari’s Kentucky Wildcats as part of the Big 12/SEC Challenge. It’s a 7 p.m. start on ESPN.
For a scouting report on West Virginia, I talked with Mitch Vingle of the Charleston Gazette-Mail. Mitch talks about the Mountaineers’ problems over the last four games, three of them losses. He describes WVU’s season as being “amazing” to this point. He talks about West Virginia’s strengths, weaknesses and what it’s like to cover Huggins.
“(The game) has been a sellout. If you check on Stubhub for how much ticket prices are going, I think the least expensive is about $170,” Vingle said. “It’s a hot ticket. People are fired up about it. Of course the Huggins/Calipari plays into that a little bit. Folks are excited. GameDay is coming to town. It should be fun.”
Also on the podcast is Calipari’s appearance on the SEC Teleconference on Thursday. Calipari talked about the Challenge in general, how challenging it will be for his young team to go against WVU’s press, and the strength of the two respective leagues.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
You can find our podcasts on iTunes.
Give us a review and a rating on iTunes.
You can also find all the Herald-Leader podcasts on Soundcloud.
Here’s my podcast this week with Gary Parrish of CBS Sports.
And here’s my podcast earlier in the week with Ben Roberts of the Herald-Leader on UK basketball recruiting.
SEC men’s basketball schedule on Saturday
- 12:00 - Texas Tech at South Carolina (ESPN2)
- 12:00 - Baylor at Florida (ESPN)
- 2:00 - Ole Miss at Texas (ESPN2)
- 2:00 - Georgia at Kansas State (ESPNU)
- 2:15 - Oklahoma at Alabama (ESPN)
- 4:00 - Tennessee at Iowa State (ESPMU)
- 4:00 - TCU at Vanderbilt (ESPN2)
- 4:30 - Texas A&M at Kansas (ESPN)
- 6:00 - LSU at Auburn (SEC)
- 6:00 - Oklahoma State at Arkansas (ESPN2)
- 7:00 - Kentucky at West Virginia (ESPN)
- 8:30 - Missouri at Miss State (SEC)