Notes and numbers from Kentucky’s 88-67 win over Eastern Kentucky on Wednesday night:
▪ Alex Poythress scored 21 points, his best scoring night since he scored 21 against Missouri on Feb. 23, 2013. Poythress' career-high is 22 points against Lafayette on Nov. 16, 2012 and LIU-Brooklyn on Nov. 23, 2012.
▪ Poythress had 21 points and 13 rebounds for the fifth double-double of his career and third this season. Poythress 10 points and 10 rebounds against Wright State and 14 points and 10 rebounds against Boston U.
▪ Kentucky shot 54.7 percent, its second-highest shooting percentage of the season behind the 56 percent (28-of-50) it shot in the opener against Albany.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ The Cats made just four of 19 three-point shots and are now 39-of-142 from three on the year for just 27.5 percent.
▪ Kentucky outrebounded EKU by 25 (50-25), its second highest-rebound margin of the season. The Cats outrebounded NJIT by 31.
▪ UK averaged 1.214 points per possession, second to its 1.253 at South Florida on Nov. 27.
▪ Eastern Kentucky averaged 0.910 points per possession. The Colonels shot 40 percent on the night, but made just five of 18 three-point shots. EKU came into the game hitting 44 percent from three.
▪ UK turned the basketball over 17 times, second to its 20 turnovers against Albany in the opener.
▪ In his last three games, Skal Labissiere has 18 points and seven rebounds. He did get two offensive rebounds on Wednesday, his first offensive boards since the Boston U. game on Nov. 24.
▪ Marcus Lee made all five of his shots from the filed. Lee also made his only shot at UCLA before leaving the game with a head injury. Over his last three games, Lee has made 12 of 14 shots.
▪ Lee also blocked a career-high five shots.
▪ Since returning from the elbow injury he suffered at South Florida, Tyler Ulis has made just five of 22 shots, including just three of 11 three-point shots.
27.5Kentucky’s three-point shooting percentage on the season
▪ Ulis did have eight assists against Eastern. In his last two games, the sophomore has 17 assists and just four turnovers.
▪ Over his last three games, Isaiah Briscoe has made 19 of 32 shots (59.4 percent).
▪ Briscoe is still struggling from the free throw line. He missed all three of his free throws on Wednesday. He's now 14-of-34 from the foul line for 41.2 percent.
▪ Jamal Murray has 11 turnovers over his last three games.
▪ Murray also missed seven of his nine three-point shots. On the year, Murray 18 of 54 threes for 33.3 percent.
▪ After going five-of-nine from three-point range in his first two games, Derek Willis is two-of-14 from behind the arc.
▪ Next up for Kentucky is Arizona State, which is 6-2 on the season and has won six of its last seven. The Sun Devils have a 79-76 win over North Carolina State and a 67-54 win over then-No. 18 Texas A&M.
Kentucky men’s basketball next five games
- Dec. 12 Arizona State (3:15/ESPN)
- Dec. 19 Ohio State in Brooklyn (3:30/CBS)
- Dec. 26 Louisville (12:00/CBS)
- Jan. 2 Ole Miss (7:00/SEC)
- Jan. 5 @LSU (9:00/ESPN)