First-year head coach Dan McHale packs his bags once again and takes his Eastern Kentucky Colonels on the road Monday night for a 7:00 game at No. 20 West Virginia for an ESPNU broadcast.
Hoops away from home has been all too familiar for the Colonels, who are coming off an 87-81 road loss at East Tennessee State on Friday night. The Morgantown trip is EKU's seventh true road game already and the calendar hasn’t even flipped over to January yet.
Eastern is 8-5 overall but 1-5 in road games thus far, winning at Savannah State, but losing at UNC-Wilmington, Western Kentucky, Kentucky, Marshall and East Tennessee.
According to Ken Pomeroy, the Colonels have a top 100 offense, ranking No. 97 in Pomeroy's rankings for offensive efficiency. EKU is averaging 106.2 points per 100 possessions.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to the Lexington Herald-Leader
West Virginia is 9-1 on the season. The lone spot on the Mountaineers’ slate is a 70-54 loss to then No. 10 Virginia. Pomeroy ranks West Virginia at No. 13. He has Eastern Kentucky at 236.
Eastern returns home to play Steve Masiello and Manhattan on Tuesday, Dec. 29 before opening OVC play -- you guessed it -- on the road at Austin Peay on Jan. 2.
As for the rest of Monday night’s schedule, No. 11 North Carolina plays host to Appalachian State at 7 p.m. on ESPN2. No. 14 Providence travels to UMass for a 7 p.m. game on the CBS Sports Network.
Here's the list of college basketball games on television for Monday:
Monday, Dec. 21
▪ 7:00 - Eastern Kentucky at West Virginia (ESPNU)
▪ 7:00 - Sacred Heart at Northwestern (Big 10)
▪ 7:00 - Appalachian State at North Carolina (ESPN2)
▪ 7:00 - Providence at UMass (CBS Sports)
▪ 7:00 - Chicago State at Marquette (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 9:00 - Oregon at Alabama (ESPNU)
▪ 9:00 - North Texas at Creighton (Fox Sports 1)
▪ 9:00 - Pepperdine at Gonzaga (ESPN2)
How Top 25 fared on Saturday and Sunday
- No. 1 Michigan State beat Northeastern 78-58
- No. 2 Kansas beat Montana 88-46
- No. 3 Oklahoma beat Creighton 87-74
- No. 4 Kentucky lost to Ohio State 74-67
- No. 5 Iowa State lost to Northern Iowa 81-79
- No. 6 Maryland beat Princeton 82-61
- No. 7 Duke lost to Utah 77-75 in overtime
- No. 8 Virginia beat No. 12 Villanova 86-75
- No. 9 Purdue lost to No. 17 Butler 74-68
- No. 10 Xavier beat Auburn 85-61
- No. 11 North Carolina beat No. 222 UCLA 89-76
- No. 13 Arizona beat UNLV 82-70
- No. 14 Providence beat Ride 73-65
- No. 15 Miami beat Charleston 85-63
- no. 16 Baylor lost to No. 24 Texas A&M 80-61
- No. 19 Louisville beat Western Kentucky 78-56
- No. 21 George Washington beat Saint Peter's 87-74
- No. 23 Cincinnati beat VCU 69-63
- No. 25 Connecticut beat UMass-Lowell 88-79 (Sunday)